Kodak Photographers Survey (film)

Mike_E

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did mine too. Are they looking to get rid of film or something?

I took the poll, lied a little on the percentages

Did mine too. Are they looking to get rid of film or something?

Most likely, Kodak is mass-market company and may think that the profit margins are not worth the effort. Are they may license more of they produces to companies Lucky to sale.

Rollie/Maco has all really done this with some Agfa produces

I personally am not a fan of their digital cameras, but however, I do use their film most of the time i use a film camera.

I filled out the survey, then pressed clear instead of submit.:blushing: I'll have to do it over again.

If Kodak does outsource their film to another company, I don't mind... just as long as i still have the choice over what Kodak film I feel like using. Honestly, I think if Kodak did this, it might just be all for the better. It seems to me that small firms (foma, efke, forte, lucky, and especially ilford) have produced some good film that costs less than a 36 exp. roll of tri-x. In other words, a company that only produces one small line of products more often than not will have lower prices. At least Kodak is taking the time to give us film users some consideration.

Done. I'm not professional, but Big Yellow doesn't need to know that.

Done

Not sure what difference it will make

Sales and profit will dictate what they decide rather than a survey which may be nothing more than a public relations exercise.

Anyway...I´ve been peeved at them since they monkeyed with the Tri-X formula 5 or 6 years ago...prefer Neopan 400 nowdays.

An update to this thread. I found this news URL and recalled this thread when it was active a while back.

It appears this is why they did the survey, yahoo has an article on it. Seems they just wanted to know how many photographers ditched Film for digital. It appears not enough to worry.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070919/photographers_film.html?.v=4

Eastman Kodak Co., which surveyed 9,000 U.S. photographers who earn their livelihoods freeze-framing news, weddings, nature, fashion and other worlds, will draw some comfort from its findings.

Putting the finishing touches to a drastic, four-year digital makeover, Kodak is still betting that film, its cash cow for a century, will continue to generate enough revenue to see it through the most painful passage in its 126-year history. Kodak's work force will slip to 34,000 at year-end, half what it was five years ago.

Even while its chemical-based businesses shrink, Kodak remains the world's top maker of silver-halide film, and the storied product -- which George Eastman launched in 1889 -- retains an ardent following.

"The survey was mailed in mid-August to more than 40,000 of the nation's estimated 64,000 full-time and part-time professional photographers, and 75 percent of the 9,000 who responded said they will continue to use film even as they embrace digital imaging.."

Which works out to be 75% of 9000 (6750). So they interpret 6750 out of 40,000 to be "most". Like the old saying, there are lies, damn lies and statisitcs. I visited the survey and looked at the questions but didn't submit as I'm not a pro.

Oh, who cares, really? ;) If something like this cheers Kodak up enough to continue putting out great analog products, then Go, Yellow! :lol:

I still reach for a lot of Kodak stuff, personally. It doesn't lessen my love for Ilford, Fuji, etc. I am happy to have the variety of quality stuff - period. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back