Kodak Pro 14N

metroshane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is this camera worth 5K (body only)?

I'll be leaving my regular gig with a hefty severence next month and wish to get my photog career up and running. I'm either going to by this model or (believe or not, thanks to Doxx) the Canon 10D. I know there is huge difference between these cameras...and I'd like the best I can get....but I also want to get my money's worth. I like what I see from the Canon, but the Joneses keep haunting me, making me think I need the Kodak.

I've heard the Kodak is a studio camera because of the amount of time it takes to compute 14MP. I mostly want to do studio type work but I don't want to be limited.

Shane, I've been reading (can't remember where, sorry) that the Kodak suffers from poor color rendition. Poor to the point that post processing images doesn't really remedy the situation completely.

In that format (35mm sized cameras) I think you'd be better served going with the 10D.

Having said that, if I had money to burn I'd go with a medium format camera and a digital back. The 16Mb Kodak back for the Contax, Hassie & Mamiya bodies is a super performer from what I've read. Bearing in mind that the lens selection is much smaller, and they aren't really suited for some photo opportunities.

For the type of photos that interest me, that'd be a great solution. I could still shoot film if I wanted, and could upgrade backs as new/better ones became available. A dedicated digital body most likely won't ever be upgradable, beyond firmware.

Bring lots of money though. The Kodak back goes for about $12,000, plus the camera. You're looking at $15k to $20k total investment. Works for me, but I'm spending your money here. :lol:

interesting point photobug...I had considered that. Since I'm looking for a long term investment...and I really only want to spend 5-6K...maybe I'll buy a medium format with a film back and then upgrade to a digi back when it come down a little?

Yeah, that's certainly a plan if you were already thinking medium format.

Not to put any pressure on ya or nothing, but I'd be all over this if I had the cash. :wink:

Some good reviews of the digital back at the bottom of that page.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
decisions, decisions...

from what I see (read) the Kodak 14n is a sloooooow studio only camera, it is just not versatile enough to do action/outside stuff. Sure the quality is great - but do you really need huge files like that? plus the noise at higher ISO levels totally sucks.

if you need huge files/big prints the 10D doesn't do the trick either, the camera is super flexible etc, but prints larger than 12x18 no no.

if you want to play with medium format and quality is a factor... for now I would go with a good film/slide scanner. If you got 5K to play with get a used medium format, shoot slides only, get a decent 6x6 slide scanner and a 10D... I'm sure u can't beat that combination.

Thanks guys. I'm not really that interested in making huge prints...just really fine detail in 8x10.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back