Kodak's dead and I feel like a noob

Rick58

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For Decades my favorite emulsion / developer combo was Tri-X and D-76 1:1
I'm a babe in the woods to all the new product names.
What would give the closest results with todays selections?

Also, for conversation, do any of the new products stand up to Kodak's reputation?

Last edited:

Tri-X and D-76 1:1 :D

But, if you want to try something else that is similar I would suggest Ilford HP5.
And, Ilford's ID-11 is virtually identical to D-76.

But, if you like D-76 and haven't tried XTol, I would give that a try too. It does everything that D-76 does but it does them better, IMO.

Last edited:
Here, I'll beat Gary to the punch: Rodinal 1:100 stand developed for an hour in the fridge! ;)

Seriously, though, Tri-X is still alive and kicking, and as far as I know, D-76 is also still available. I might be wrong about the second part, but there are good developers available. And of course there's Caffenol ;)

And yes, Ilford still produces quality stuff, and the HP5 is similar to Tri-X.

Thanks folks. I'll probably start with Ilford stuff. They've been around a long time. I'm seriously kicking around the idea of loading my new-to-me Linhof and playing in film again for a while. One thing about LF, particularly a view camera is, you have to slow down and smell the roses. Many times I would take a single exposure all day and just tray develop it. Time to dig through some boxes and find my Soligor Spot meter :)

Time to dig through some boxes and find my Soligor Spot meter :)
If you don't find it I have for sale Pentax spot Zone 6 modified. :D BTW, if Kodak stops production of TX it will be a British decision as some British consortium controls it now.

Hp5 @ 800 in DDX gives nice contrasty shots

Handley%20Woods12-XL.jpg

This is at 400 rodinal 1+100 in the fridge for 1 hour

Scan-130908-0001-XL.jpg

At 400 in DDX

Scan-130728-0005-XL.jpg

How about Kodak's HC-110, Dilution B??? I always liked that better than D-76 diluted 1:1. I liked the fact that HC-110 was a thick concentrate that kept for YEARS in a bottle, and could be mixed up about 1/4 ounce syrup to 7.5 ounces of water per roll of 35mm film...I've heard some stories about how Kodak "recalibrated" the times for HC-110, and that newbies following the Kodak suggested times have wound up with very under-developed negatives...I'm thinking 7min 30 seconds for Tri-X rated at 400, with agitation 10 seconds on the minute...I have also heard that there is now a one-liter bottle of HC-110 available, either made in Germany, or destined for the EU, which has slightly less "kick"...but is still HC-110...

To me, it was always handy to use HC-110. I liked it better than D-76 straight, or D-76 1:1, and it gave tighter, finer grain and overall 'better' results than Rodinal, no matter how the Roddy was diluted. Rodinal is great for golfball-like grain, which at times is a beautiful look, but...not always...sometimes you want your shots made on Tri-X to look sharp, not like salt and pepper has been spilled on paper.

Dogs dogs, dogs. How many do you have of them, Gary ?

Only 2, the first shot is not my dog i shot it for a friend at work
Oh yes, it's not Terrier. :D
Very nice portrait BTW.

Also, for conversation, do any of the new products stand up to Kodak's reputation?
Rick, as a developer try FA-1027 if you need something close to D76. But Formulary has a good array of stuff, why don't you start to mix own developers, you might find something better than D76. As for films you won't have much choice, but I would try Delta 400. HP5+ is too grainy to pose for TX, but Delta is excellent. And with developer like D76 you will find it's grain as mushed as with TX. :D

Most reactions

Back