compur

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
"Still a drag on earnings is Kodak's declining film business. The Film,
Photofinishing and Entertainment Group revenues were $847 million for the
quarter, down 14 percent from the $980 million it racked up in the same three
months of 2007."
Article here.

Yep. Skyrocketing costs in raw materials. I would imagine it's being felt throughout the industry.

Yep. Skyrocketing costs in raw materials.
That or very poor management. Either way, that is not good news for the future of film. Let's hope other companies such as Fujifilm and Ilford will do better and soldier on.

That or very poor management. Either way, that is not good news for the future of film. Let's hope other companies such as Fujifilm and Ilford will do better and soldier on.
Agreed - my comment was based on what was stated in the article. Poor management? I'm not sure how many fans Perez has these days....depends on who you ask. ;)

I'm not old enough to remember, but I heard once that silver prices were really high in the 1970s. Does anyone remember if that affected film prices back then?

i do remember the price of paper went from about 10 dollars for a box of 8x10 to over 50 when the Hunt's tried to corner the silver market.

one issue that kodak is having may be that a lot of people are tried of the lack of interest, or the perceived lack of interest in film and have been switching to ilford and other smaller companies.

I'm not old enough to remember, but I heard once that silver prices were really high in the 1970s. Does anyone remember if that affected film prices back then?

It was a couple of brothers from Texas or something like that manipulating the silver market. I wasn't into photography then, but my Photo 101 teacher told a story of several manufacturers going out of business because of it, including the one that made his favorite paper. He went to the bank, got a loan, purchased a large freezer chest, and filled it with that paper. As of the early 90's he still had a few boxes left.

i mentioned those brothers in my comment earlied in the thread,

the Hunt Brothers.

interesting , the prices went up and never came down even when they didn't corner the market.

Unfortunatly, Kodak is not interested in keeping products around for nostalgia or for the sake of their own history and contributions to the film world. For many years now they have made a practice of cutting the bottom 4% of products regardless if they make money from them or not. The fact that they continue to lose money on the film side guarantees some of your favorite products will cease to exists each and every year. Kodaks future is not in the film market, although they could do a lot if they wanted. So, I say forget Kodak and move on to companies that keep bringing film products to market, many of which are as good or better than what Kodak offers.

That would be sad if Kodak's film department ever went under.

Unfortunately, Kodak has discontinued most of their best black and white films over the years, though sometimes simply in sizes. Plus-X in 4x5, Tech Pan, PanX, Super XX, KC25, HIE, Verichrome Pan, the list goes on. I still shoot TX and PX from time to time, but that's about it.

I think its because the lack of demand for film also. Nowadays most people buying new cameras are buying digital.

Sadly I guess digital is becoming the new foundation of photography.

Digital is great in its own way, buts just not the same.:(

Maybe someone'll make a combo digi/film SLR. That way you've got the best of both worlds...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back