ksmattfish's camera collection

terri said:
I also wonder if I could ever get used to shooting nothing but 6x6. Does the 500 have a 6.45 back available? I've never seen one out there, and am curious. I don't know if it's just my MF inexperience or if I really have some weird aversion to seeing square! ;)

Yes, Hassy makes a 6-4.5 back, I have one albeit I haven't shot a roll yet with it. It's called the A16. Not the A16S, which is the superslide back.

Ah, now that I see it typed it out I think I've seen those at KEH. I want to move into MF and am thinking hard about the 500, but have been wondering about that capability.

I think it's the "fear of square" factor that gives me pause. :lol: I know, I have to get over it.

You shoot yours often, don't you Mitica? Give me your appraisal, too, of the 500 v. 501, if you would. :)

terri said:
You shoot yours often, don't you Mitica? Give me your appraisal, too, of the 500 v. 501, if you would. :)

Not as often as I would like... One day, when I'll retire though...

Main difference between 501 and 500 is:

The 501 comes as an 'entire' camera, in other words, when you purchase a 501 from a dealer you get the body, the WLF, the back, the lens (80mm). The 500 you build up from the body by purchasing what you need. The 501 is much newer than the 500 but also it incorporates more plastic parts than the 500. The 500 is less expensive anyway. My feel? You'd be better with a 500CM, they are rugged cameras if handled properly. Besides, the lens is the most important thing on a Hassy, whether it's on a 501 or a 500 doesn't really make a difference in quality. Unfortunately, the Hassy system (camera and especially lens) needs often CLAs, which can be costly. However, the results from such camera are worth spending the $$$.

The 500CM or 500C series are pretty cheap on E-bay but always be careful who you're buying it from. I bought mine from a camera repair shop (on E-bay) and never had any problems.

Are you seriously considering a Hassy system? :D You'll love it, believe me!

Yep, even bid on one the other day. It was being offered by the original owner who offered a return if not found in excellent condition. It was for a 500 CM, and INCLUDED the prism finder, Zeiss 2.8 80 lens AND a great-looking old style Gossen light meter. Manuals too. My thousand bucks didn't meet the reserve, sadly. :x BUT it got the itch going and I'll be looking for similar deals.

If I could drag it out my hubby's hands once it reached the house, that is! ;) He wanted to bid on a Rollei SL 66, but was talked into the Hassy bid. They were both a bit rich for us, as it turns out!

And yes, we are dangerous together!!! :D

terri said:
My thousand bucks didn't meet the reserve, sadly. :x

Aww... Darn! Keep finding deals like that, though. You never know when you'll get one.

Let me know if you have any questions about the 500 series. One piece of advice, although the 500ELX and 500ELM are nice to have in a studio because of the electric motor wind, they are a nuissance if batteries are dead and you're shooting on location. And batteries for these babies can get up to $40-50 a piece! I have made an adapter which take a regular 9V battery and goes inside the battery compartment. Works like a dream and only for a fraction of the cost of a Hassy original battery.

In general though, look for a 500CM, it's a better camera alltogether. Good luck.

I heard no more batteries for the ELM or ELX, although they will do a modification at the Hassy factory that allows modern, available batteries to be used.

I really like the 500c/m for portraits. I find it very easy to use on and off tripod. I love the leaf shutter. With my Pentax 67II I was using leaf shutter lenses, but I still had to remember to deal with the focal plane shutter. I will probably still continue to use the P67II for color landscape work. I love shooting the square for my own stuff, but most clients end up wanting rectangles. I still feel a little regret when I need to crop a 6x6 neg to a rectangle.

ksmattfish said:
I heard no more batteries for the ELM or ELX, although they will do a modification at the Hassy factory that allows modern, available batteries to be used.

Varta (Germany) used to make the original batteries, pretty expensive IMHO. There were some off brand ones but not a lot cheaper. One can still find them around E-bay and such. I have two original Varta batteries but what I find very annoying is the discharge after use and having to recharge them before next use so I don't have to deal with the 'memory' thing. Since I made the 9V battery adapter I had the easiest time in having enough battery juice for hundreds of shots by carrying an extra 9V battery. The adapter is pretty easy to make, let me know if you need directions.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Mitica100 said:
Since I made the 9V battery adapter I had the easiest time in having enough battery juice for hundreds of shots by carrying an extra 9V battery. The adapter is pretty easy to make, let me know if you need directions.

Why don't you make a new thread and post this info. Even though I don't have an ELM or ELX I do often see them going cheap. You never know when I'll see a deal I can't refuse. ;)

ksmattfish said:
Why don't you make a new thread and post this info. Even though I don't have an ELM or ELX I do often see them going cheap. You never know when I'll see a deal I can't refuse. ;)

Good idea! Heading right there...

Added 2 more cameras this week. An Ansco Speedex 4.5 Special and another Ansco Titan. Both are medium format (6x6) folders. This will make 4 Ansco Titans in my collection; I just love those cameras, and when I see them going cheap I cannot resist!

Man, that's like finding a UFO in Area 51. We know these things are out there, but all at once like that? Yow.

The Vollenda caught my eye. I bought one ('all shutter speeds work'...uh, yeah, except they were all the same), had it CLA'ed, maybe a dumb move, but the uncoated Xenar was what I was gambling on. Mine is the 6x9 one. I shot some 620 film, then got a roll of 120 in it somehow, using a 620 spool for takeup.

Something inspired me to convert it to 120, and it is not going well. I thought it would be easy because I actually accomplished it with a Medalist II. Maybe I was lucky on that one. I researched it & thought it through very carefully before putting it under the knife...it was probably reckless because I've wrecked many lesser cameras.

Anyway, I hope I can finish the Vollenda since it is far from a bargain after the CLA :O(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back