L quality, non-L glass

CoBilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I have no idea how to search for what I'm asking and titling this thread was a pain in the ass.

I know people on here have said there are canon lenses that are great quality, take fantastic pictures and probably have a little red line around the end. The problem is, I can't remember which ones they are. A little help, please.

I think a few of them are the 50mm f1.4 and 100mm macro, but I could be wrong.

Whiskeyjack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The red lines are L :) I think the line you're thinking of is the gold line.

Whiskeyjack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The 2.8 100mm and the 1.4 50 mm have the gold bands and yes I believe they are one step below. (I think!)

OP
C

CoBilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I've seen a few posts describing a few individual lenses as having good enough optics, build quality and focus quality to rival it's L counterpart. It wasn't a particular line of lenses

Hof8231

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
As a previous owner of the 50mm 1.8 and the 1.4, and a current owner of the 1.2 L, I can vouch for the 50mm 1.4. It's a great lens. The 85mm 1.8 is also a very nice lens (focuses crazy fast too) and I've heard good things about the non L 100mm macro also. As far as zoom lenses go, I can't really think of any non L ones that rival my 70-200. I don't know if someone else could offer better input in that regard.

Danmunro_nz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have an EF-S 17-55 f2.8. I use if on my 7D and in my opinion it's not far off the EF 24-70 f2.8L.

The 17-55 has the same UD elements used in "L" lenses, the only reason they cannot call it an "L" lens is because its EF-S and is not of all metal construction.

If I were to compare a shot taken with the 17-55 to one taken with my 70-200 f2.8L it's just as good in terms of IQ.

I also have a 50mm f1.8. When stopped down a bit it's optically as good as the 2 above mentioned lenses, but it's built like **** compared to the others and its SOOOOOO noisy to focus compared to the others as well.

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
You can't just draw a line, putting 'L' glass on one side and non-L glass on the other. Some L lenses are really, really good...while some are just good. Some of the non-L lenses are pretty good and of course, some of them are terrible.

There are a few 'gems' in the line up. Lenses that have a pretty good image quality but won't cost you top dollar. As mentioned, the 50mm F1.4 and 85mm F1.8 are two of the most common examples. The EF-S 17-55mm and EF-S 10-22mm both have image quality on par with many L branded zoom lenses...but they really aren't much less expensive...and they aren't compatible* with full frame cameras.

The 17-40mm F4L is a good value compared to many other lenses. I've always heard good things about it, and I traded my 10-22mm for a 17-40mm when I upgraded to full frame. It's a good solid lens, but I do miss my 10-22mm a little bit.

Most reactions

New Topics