LA MONTANA MAGICA (MAGIC MOUNTAIN)

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took one my HDR pictures and processed the heck out of it. I had like this photo and when I was in that spot shooting it just felt really cool. I live in Tucson and just 30-40 min away we have Mt. lemon that is our Forest in the desert. Its one of Tucson talk about places. I wanted to make this a magical image. Not going for photo realistic at all but added more graphic work into it bringing out who I am.

LA MONTANA MAGICA by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

CC welcome

What exactly is it about these extreme HDRs do you enjoy? What aspect of the subject do you hope to emphasize?

To me it's a novelty that has little to do with the subject, it's about technique - without anything more, once you see it, you've seen them all. I think it can work, but in this case I am not really seeing it - and the OP seems to post everything using this extreme processing, which makes me kind of wonder why and what he or she had in mind for the subject.

What exactly is it about these extreme HDRs do you enjoy? What aspect of the subject do you hope to emphasize?

What Bynx said.

Its being able to make someone look at it and think for a bit. Whether or not they like is not the concern but, if they can look at the image and think is this real? is this a painting? is this a real place in this world? I like to process/edit. Its what I enjoy. I love art and all its form whether its a painting, photography, sculpture digital drawings or illustration I like it all. So I spend a lot of time doing what I like to do. Trying to take a photo and just go with it. Listening to music on the computer I get in the zone. I not only look at the processing as "Oh this looks fake its not real" its what went into the processing that intrigues me. Vibrant, saturated colors the POP factor is something that draws my eye in. Some people like Blonds others like Brunettes some people like Fake boobs, sprayed tans and bleach blond hair..

So in simple form its what I am attracted to at this time in my life in regards to HDR..

What if you could climb up on top of the mountain/rock and at the right moment and right time while the sun is in the right spot something magical happend?

Some people like Blonds others like Brunettes some people like Fake boobs, sprayed tans and bleach blond hair..

uhm. ok.

I not only look at the processing as "Oh this looks fake its not real" its what went into the processing that intrigues me. Vibrant, saturated colors the POP factor is something that draws my eye in.

So it's eye candy then.

Yes exactly.

I would like to provide a link to photomatix gallery. Look how many photos are of the extreme HDR. I just find these fascinating! I see more extreme,vibrant colors than not and so I think
I might have been under the impression that this is what sells....

HDR tone mapped or fused photos from Photomatix users

I am sure that it will sell. So did the Spice Girls and Starland Vocal Band.

The problem with images that are driven by technique and not by subject is that once you've seen one, you've seen them all. It gets stale very quickly.

I am not against the technique. One of my favorite images uses uses it:

4065740489_c67dd96db5_z.jpg

I have liked this style for a very time if and when it happens that I get tired of it then so be it but, as for now I will enjoy it without regret.:thumbup::sexywink: I don't think they are all the same because HDR is always going to take on a different appearance with different images. There are many additional editing that can be done in photoshop , nik software color effex, topaz and more that will get many different outcomes as well as similar but not exact.

Cool image. I don't even want to say what it looks like though:drool:

Last edited:
unpopular you have a pretty sad look on life. Seen one seen them all. I guess by the time you are 10 years old you will have seen everything so nothing left but to see the face of God.

^^ ehh. ok?

I don't think they are all the same because HDR is always going to take on a different appearance with different images.

My point is though that when it's something so sensational there isn't really much to think about beyond the sensual. It becomes a "yep, it's saturated" or "uhhu, it kind of looks like it's painted .. again". No two images are the same, but what motivates our interest in them doesn't change much from image to image and there isn't a whole lot left to talk about.

There are many additional editing that can be done in photoshop , nik software color effex, topaz and more that will get many different outcomes as well as similar but not exact.

Those filters are a waste of money. Almost everything they do can be done within Photoshop without them, and typically done more naturally with much more control and in much less predictable ways.

Cool image. I don't even want to say what it looks like though

dood. you need a girlfriend.

^^ ehh. ok?

My point is though that when it's something so sensational there isn't really much to think about beyond the sensual. It becomes a "yep, it's saturated" or "uhhu, it kind of looks like it's painted .. again". No two images are the same, but what motivates our interest in them doesn't change much from image to image and there isn't a whole lot left to talk about.

Those filters are a waste of money. Almost everything they do can be done within Photoshop without them, and typically done more naturally with much more control and in much less predictable ways.

dood. you need a girlfriend.

You have a right to your opinion as well as likes and dislikes just remember that its only your opinion and not a fact. In regards to the software plug ins I would disagree. I have used photoshop since 1999 and am pretty good at what I using the program. However there are many things that you just can not do in photoshop. Nik software offers control point where you can apply certain filters and select a point and take away the effect or add more of the effect in certain areas with out effecting it globally. The noise reduction in photo shop is really not that good where as Topaz Denoise has a much nicer noise reduction plug in that gives you way more control of the image while keeping detail. There are many filters that Topaz, Topaz adjust has a an hdr filter that really gives an hdr look which in photoshop really can not replicate. Same as Color effex and photomatix. When time is money you need power you need to be able to have a fast work flow with more options and your disposal. This is why its in my opinion that plug ins are not a waist of money. I would agree with you if Photoshop had all these features incorporated into the software and they were actually useful. Believe me I am a photoshop junkie and just love the program and would say that those other programs would not be anything without photoshop. Since I actually make a living using the graphic design software I have found myself many times thinking I wish photoshop offered this tool so it would be more efficient and not take so long. As I do digital photo restoration there are many filters I have used within the program that did not look right and now with all the extra software companies, it makes life easier which translates to less time doing the same thing and doing it better sometime NOT ALL THE TIME!
I charge $40 an hour and although its great to spend all day on a clients job and get paid it is better to save the client money as they appreciate the savings and frees up more time for new cliental. Once again just an example of how the software is not a waist of money but more of an investment that will pay for it self in just a few jobs.

I am 36 years old and have 4 kids. I do not need a girl friend nor want one as I am happily married. Since you did say that I am sure you know exactly what that looks like its pretty obvious and has nothing to do with my marital or sex status.

You talk like you're the only graphic artist on this forum, and you need to stop. Seriously. It's getting super annoying. You're coming across as insufferable and obnoxious and there is a reason people are thinking you're nineteen.

I've been using Photoshop since I was like 12 years old at version 2.0. While I wasn't doing anything too serious with it then, I was when I was at college studying digital imaging with an emphasis on Imaging and Reproduction - this was about when you were just learning. If you are wondering how that time frame worked out, it was because I graduated high school two years early at the age of sixteen. I'm not going to give you a full resume or anything, but you get my drift. You're not the cat's pajamas. You're not the only one here that does this kind of work.

I don't care how much you charge. I don't care how many kids you have. And you have to have seen a comment like that coming your way when you make such chauvinistic remarks as you had here in this thread.

I'll admit I was a little bit overly enthusiastic about the filters. I guess my clients just have had higher standards than a bunch of novelty effects which probably aren't going to be printable anyway.

Last edited:
I know I am not the only graphic artist I was just explaining why I don't see it being a waist of money. sorry if you took it personal or the wrong way. If you have used photoshop that long you should know many of today's plug ins were not something photoshop could do. I don't even like photoshops HDR merging as of today. I think it lacks a little but that's just me.You ask questions I answer, you reply as if my answer is not right. I explain and back up why my answers is As it is. The total cost of those programs is really nothing color effex was the most at under $200 and the topazI think I paid like $115 for both adjust and Denoise.

Most reactions

Back