lack of polarizer for 14-24

bs0604

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the nikon 14-24 mm lens which I love. I am ordering ND filters for it but due to the lens style it does not seem to accept a polarizer. In your experiences has this in practice limited the lens?

You must of purchased, square filters for the 14-24 as there are no circular filters. Unless you go with a specialized adapt which lets you must 105mm filters I believe. There are in fact polarizes available for the 14-24 if you purchased the lee filter system, most of them linear, which prevent autofocus from working, not a big deal as you can focus first then pop in your polarizer. The problem is that they are insanely expensive, over $300-$500 for decent quality one. The problem most have with polarizes with wide angle is the effect it has on skies, ultra wides and poloriizing for skies don't mix. HOWEVER the filters are really useful for water and rock shots, and anything where you want to get rid of reflections. For this reason they are great.

I don't think it restricts the lens but, I wish I could add a uv for when I take it on the beach or near water spray, or where there is heavy dirt. I also love long exposures and they are impossible to do with this lens unless I get the lee system. To me the lee system is worth the price but, it is just too large, the filters are massive and so is the adapter. I will have to bring along a bigger bag to accommodate all the extras or just head out with just the 14-24 and filters.

Polarizes are hard to mimic in post, but its a trade off you kinda have to live with.

thanks for the reply. I ordered yesterday the Lee system from Adorama for my 14-24 but from various posts figure there is a wait for it. I today ordered a Lee system from 2Filters for my 24-70 and they have it in stock so I should get it next week. I already have a circular polarizer for the 24-70 so no worries there.

something to be aware is that the field of view in a 14-24 is so wide that polarizers don't really work properly anyway, as the light will be coming in at different angles due to the wideness.

For instance when I use a polarizer on my sigma 10-20mm, depending on the angle of the light source, either the middle is mroe polarized than the edges (or the reverse). You get the most polarizing effect when you're perpendicular to the light source. With a wide angle you're going to see some areas of the photo with little/no polarizing effect (where the angle to the light source is < 45 or > 135) and some with full polarization (angle to the light source is between 70 and 110).

I find polarizers with a wide angle to be mostly useless except in very specific circumstances (ie shooting above water and needing to filter light coming in at a very specific angle)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back