Lake Geneva tonite, comments/criticism appreciated

darkpbstar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I went out tonite to, of course, take some photos in Lake Geneva. I realize some may be a little blurry, but I was using the night mode, and it took longer for the camera to actually take the picture, and when I moved, well, the picture was blurred...(any tips for me? I know, I should get a tripod, but anything else, like when I'm not using a tripod?) here they are:
DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0004-2.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

Adding this one as well:
DSC_0037.jpg

Looks good. The first pic would look awesome with a tripod. Water at night with a tripod always comes out great! :thumbup:

Some great shots. #1 and #3 are the best. For #2 and #4, what are you trying to show me, the subject is not so clear.

Tips to reduce bluryness... Ditch the night mode, its complete trash on the D40 and usually makes poor choices. At the least use Program, or Aperture priority so you can play around with the shutter speed. Shooting a photo at night without a tripod is much like shooting a rifle. Take a deep breath and slowly let it out, you will hit a sweet spot where you steady out, thats when you want to lightly touch the shutter release, don't grab at it, just enough force to do the job.

alright thanks for the tip. In Number 2 I guess I was just taking some boats/docks with the water, I don't know. Number 4 I just though had an eerie feel to it, maybe you just had to be there, type of thing.

when I put it in P mode, and use the dial, sometimes it changes the f/-# and sometimes it wont change anything. I have yet to really learn about these manual modes. As of yet all I've used are the auto, macro, landscape...those newb settings.

Most reactions

Back