lake scene for c&c

Carla_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to come back to this place. How is the comp/exposure on this one? Is it worth a revisit or should I walk around some more? I kinda liked the setting with the tree and mountains in the background. What do you think? Should there be a bit more foreground?

Bonellilake1web.jpg

TIA

Carla

For me, there is too much water at the bottom and not enough sky at the top. I would crop it up on the bottom so the little bit of land in the bottom right corner is not there. The mountain peak in the center is way too close to the top of the frame. Shifting the scene down so there is more sky would help.

Its nice enough, but you need to decide if you want the beach in the scene or not. Having a tiny corner makes it seem like you didn't intend to have it in the frame. If this is near you, reshoot, maybe a panorama? And get a little more sky as well.

Thanks for the input. I agree the forgound is neither here nor there. I thought a lake scene like that would need some kind of forground unless there are reflections? I will try to make it back. The challenge here is getting a shot in around all the people fishing.

Carla

First impressions - if it was me, I would think about trying a polarizer - it should cut down any glare off the water and might help to darken the sky a bit. From a compositional perspective, I would place the shoreline along the lower third of the image. This would give me more sky in the upper part of the image. I might also want to walk around a bit to see if there are any different perspectives that would provide a "better" image - whatever a "better" image is in this context.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Thanks for the input. I went back yesterday but the sky gave it a completely different look. How's this one?

lake1web-3.jpg

Carla

I want to come back to this place. How is the comp/exposure on this one? Is it worth a revisit or should I walk around some more? I kinda liked the setting with the tree and mountains in the background. What do you think? Should there be a bit more foreground?

Bonellilake1web.jpg

TIA

Carla

I think I might prefer a "portrait" view... Something like...

Bonellilake1web.jpg

Just a thought...

Thanks for the input. I went back yesterday but the sky gave it a completely different look. How's this one?

lake1web-3.jpg

Carla
Very under exposed in the foreground.

Most landscape shooters carry a selection of Graduated Neutral Density (GND) and ND filters. The GND filters are used to bring down the brightness of the sky. ND filters are used to obtain a slower shutter speed in overall bright lighting conditions. A good, high quality Circular Polarizing (CPL) filter is also an oft used lanscape photographer's tool.

Thanks for the advice. I literally raced to this spot after work and had a couple minutes to get this shot. How are these for comp and exposure?

bonelli1web.jpg

bonelli2web.jpg

TIA

That bad? I can try again, but the snow will probably be gone.

I like the second one - the first one is underexposed - as for composition, not sure I like the pier(?) in the foreground, but at least it is a decent anchor for the foreground and does provide the needed perspective. I would clone out the red/orange floating object and the stuff in the right mid-ground by the trees what ever it is - cars? -can't tell - I would also clone out the two floating objects in the mid-ground on the left as well - all these floating objects provide a distraction from the overall image. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

WesternGuy,

Thanks. How's it now? I messed with it a bit in pp and cropped it so the mountain top is on the thirds line, and cropped out what you said.

lake1bweb.jpg

This shot is nice, however look around for more interesting angles. See if you can get into a position that will let the jetty lead you to the mounain. Filters are great for landscape photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back