Lake's Blanketed Edge

PrimaryCanary

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The fog driving home from work yesterday was amazing. I could hardly see and it was 4pm. In my eyes this photo was the best of the 100 I shot but I don't think I qualify as a fair critic. Please tell your opinions.

full_22_p467.jpeg

I like it.
Surprising how fog, darkening things on the one hand, can be so overpoweringly bright in photos, isn't it? You hardly get the "closed" parts of the photo light enough while the sky or "open" parts get almost overexposed. Therefore, I think, you arrived at the perfect middle.
Maybe you could have crouched a bit to get more detail in the ground, maybe?

I like the composition and the fog. If there was something in the water then I think you would have a great picture. Where the hell are those boats, ducks ecteria when ya need them :)

It's a nice shot, and I absolutely believe that it took one hundred frames to get one with this balance. Good work for stopping on your way home when you saw the opportunity. It's too easy to just think 'that would be nice' and keep going - for me, at least.

Now, the hard part. I think there's too much of the water/fog, and it overwhelms the land. I know that the effect of the blend is the reason for the shot, but there's nothing in it, no detail to it, and nothing of interest to justify its overwhelming presence. A slimmer slice would convey the same mood, but still keep the land as the source of interest. I'm finding that I spend all of my time looking for the horizon, to the point where I could not tell you what is on the land without looking back at the photo. I'm naturally drawn to the left-hand side of the frame (My left eye is dominant, and so 90% of my subjects wind up on the LH side of the frame) so this is very odd for me.

And, speaking of subjects, I don't see one. This is a nice scene, with great use of tone and colour. A very nice background for something. If I was picking out prints to take to one of the public art fairs that happen on summer weekends, I'd definitely bring a few framed prints of this. But it stops short of greatness - if there was a fetching young woman leading her horse along the fence, their breath fogging the air - greatness. (Or at least very very goodness.) This image makes me think that a rickety wooden rowboat should be considered part of a basic photographer's kit.

...or maybe it's just me.

I like it. I like the colors. I like the fog. I love the lines. They make it look kinda spooky and unspoiled. I think it's cool that there isn't anything distacting you away from the foggy shoreline. Just my opinion.

A wooden rowboat could have made that shot :)

I have to agree that the photo lacks a clear subject and although it is a great snapshot of some really cool looking fog it could be much better.
This photo needs more of an objective.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back