No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
1: A German car north of the arctic circle
2003_211.jpg

2: Snow and water
2003_276.jpg

3: [SIZE=-1]Luleå harbour (Baltic sea close to the Swedish-Finnish border)[/SIZE]
2003_032.jpg

4: Midnight
2003_041.jpg

5: 11 pm
2003_135.jpg

6: 1 am
2003_138.jpg

BTW, the colours are more or less real ...

All sorts of comments welcome :)

The last one is fantastic, and the title of this one really brings forth the title of the thread. Looks chilly, but a beautiful area of the world.

Wow, I am all fascinated by the light and mist in the last photo here! Wonderful scene that you saw and captured.
But hey, all these are cool, for I also like the one taken only 2 hours earlier than the last with the "evening" sun at 11p.m. ... and the photo of the quay at midnight shows nicely what it looks like when it is "darkest".

Thanks guys !

LaFoto said:
Wow, I am all fascinated by the light and mist in the last photo here! Wonderful scene that you saw and captured.
But hey, all these are cool, for I also like the one taken only 2 hours earlier than the last with the "evening" sun at 11p.m. ... and the photo of the quay at midnight shows nicely what it looks like when it is "darkest".
Well, the midnight one was taken several weeks before no.5 and no.6, therefore it was much darker than it would have been when 5 and 6 were taken.

All three are taken just slightly south of the arctic circle near [SIZE=-1]Luleå[/SIZE], so the sun DOES dissapear behind the horizon for a couple of minutes. But that does not mean it gets dark ;)

Oh, BTW, the last one was taken just a couple of minutes from my office and also just a couple of minutes from my apartment. Actually I had some important work to do and was working VERY late, so I went for a short stroll to get my brain working again .. I ended up with walking for 3 hours because it was so nice!

AIRIC said:
Wow! wish I was there. Must be very interesting to see a light sky for 24 hours.

Eric
Interesting it is indeed, but it completely wrecks your day/night rythm and you get by far less sleep than you normally get ;)

Peanuts said:
The last one is fantastic, and the title of this one really brings forth the title of the thread. Looks chilly, but a beautiful area of the world.
Certainly beautiful, and I feel privileged everytime I have the chance to work and live there :)
It is less chilly than you think, in the summer its is very warm, if not hot (for my standards) and dry. At least in daytime.

what an excellent set of photos
just love 2,4,5 & 6

Lovely series! The last 2 are my faves...#5 looks so serene, and #6 is so moody with the mist and soft coloured light. Thanks for sharing these.

I love 6, 5 is nice too. Very nice series.

thanks to you all! inspires me to dig out more :)

neat shots, it always amazes me that it stays light that long in other places around the world. It's almost completely dark by 6pm here now. The reminds of fishing at 10pm in British Columbia when the sun was still shining.

Thanks again!

I will try to dig out more :)

chris82 said:
I like 1,2,5 and 6.I love the road in no 1 and the colours in no 5.what equipment are you using?the images are so sharp.

Thanks Chris!

I shoot digital and film. Almost everything I posted on this forum so far was film only.

For the images in this thread I used ...

Shooting:
- 35mm slide film (ISO 100, standard consumer grade E6 process)
- Canon EOS 100
- Canon EF 28mm 1:1.8 USM prime
- Canon EF 50mm 1:1.4 USM prime
- UV filter
- no tripod, just a steady hand ;)

Scanning:
- Nikon 5000 ED film scanner ... produces 20Mpixel images, 16 bit colour depth per channel

Postprocessing:
- Neatimage (software) to reduce the effect of film grain
- Photoshop CS2: tilting, cropping, minor corrections in colour and levels and some extra sharpening.

.. oh yes, not to forget, then I reduce them from 20 MP to the size you can see here.

Totally agree!

Peanuts said:

Most reactions

Back