Landscape advice?

tom_anderson18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tomorrow morning seen as it is my day off work I decided I'm going to go to an old lake where I used to visit with my Grandparents when I was younger and take my first landscape photos but I was hoping for some advice before I head out I don't currently own a tripod and I understand that would be possibly first on most peoples list. But possible shutter speeds, aperture settings would be useful so I have a starting point.

I don't have a DSLR I am using a Fujifilm s2970 which I have found to be fairly good so far apart from while doing macro shots the poorer lens quality shows.

You could use many things as a makeshift tripod or monopod. Tree stump, bench, vehicles, etc. Shutter speed and aperture settings would help to try out when you are there to see what works for you. Good luck.

Nobody can accurately answer that since we have no idea what the light is going to be like there. Anything would be little more than a guess. If the subject is in direct sunlight use the "Sunny 16 rule"; Shutter speed at a reciprocal of the ISO (i.e. ISO 400 & shutter speed 1/400, ISO 100 & shutter speed 1/125, etc.) @ f/16. If the subject is in shade, at least 2 stops more exposure. If shooting straight into the sun, at least a couple of stops less.

You have some good advice on the technical aspects, but my thoughts were also on composition, so, from a compositional aspect, remember the rule of thirds and keep the horizons and shorelines level - but then you probably already knew that.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

I tend to use Google Maps to look up places I want to shoot. Then I make a map of what might make good photos or composition and head out. If you are shooting landscapes, I typically shoot an hour before sunrise and up to an hour after sunset. These types of conditions usually provide the best natural light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back