Landscape Improvement

Allizdog89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
No not mowing the lawn.

Although it may be hard to tell (sarcasm) I am a newb. I would like to get some advice on how I can compose, shoot, and edit my photos, particularly landscapes.

I think this photo is a good "template" I guess. How could I improve in the process of taking this photo, from start to end. Should I have not included the nearby shore line and start at the waterline? Better angle? Different aperature/shutter? Adjust levels in photoshop?

Basically Im asking how could I make this photo worth looking at? (If possible to begin with lol)

Please disregard the random objects (pink hummingbird, umbrellas). I know those should be kept out of the photo.
Thanks in advance!

DSC_0205.jpg

Last edited:
Taking this as a 'template', meaning to me it's not very interesting to me. I would not have included the shore line as it is. The branches in the top left is a distracting to me. It looks like it's level, looking at the vertical columns.

If I were to re-shoot this, I would either get up at sunrise or wait until near sunset when the conditions are better. I said earlier that I would not have included the shore line. I would have shot a few frames like that, but I can see some of those rocks at the shore line. I would try and compose the rock(s) as an 'anchor' for the foreground and include the water and some interesting background, in this case I guess it's the building.

Hope this helps. :)

Alright when I get the chance Ill return to the location at sunset and make some improvements and put up the revised product =)

Looks ok to me, as template. Other than the objects you already mentioned (pink flamingo lol) I think it's pretty nice. I would say some post processing would give it that 'finished' look if thats what you're aiming for. Some contrast, saturation, that kind of thing. If you don't have a graphic editing program already, I understand that Gimp is free. I have never used it but it's supposed to be very good.

Not to disagree with Mike, but I like the foreground (clutter aside). I find that landscapes tend to be much more interesting when there is something in front.

Just the opinion of another landscape photo noob ;)

Tried to spice it up a little bit. I dont know if I overdid it or not though.
DSC_0205copy.jpg

Imagine your edit without the foreground clutter to the right, without the clutter to the top right behind the building, and without the clutter to the left way in the background, and without the stray branch top left... and it wouldn't be too bad of a shot. Add some better lighting like Mike recommended, and it bumps up another notch or two or three. With the right focal length and (re)composition, I think you should be able to knock out the extemporaneous elements that take away from the shot.

Not to disagree with Mike, but I like the foreground (clutter aside). I find that landscapes tend to be much more interesting when there is something in front.

Just the opinion of another landscape photo noob ;)

That's why I suggested a couple of versions, including the rocks, as an anchor. I would have got closer and probably lower to include the rocks in the bottom left. ;)

I had Photoshop open, so this is what I was trying to explain. BTW, this is on my site, so I'll remove it in a few days, once you see it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back