Landscape Lens

sapper6fd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone.

I have the opportunity to go out and shoot some landscape shots in Lake Louise and Banff National Park in the next while. I was thinking of bringing along the 24-70 f/2.8, but wanted to know what your opinions were on using the sharpest possible lens for landscapes on a D90 body. I'll most likely be renting whichever lense is going to produce the sharpest photos possible. The photos taken may be used in print for a photo contest I want to enter. Any input would be apreciated!

Cheers,

Sapper

Last edited:
Use the 12-24 f/4 lens and have enjoyed it since day one. Its a wonderful lens and I have never had trouble getting amazing photos out of it.

Hey everyone.

I have the opportunity to go out and shoot some landscape shots in Lake Louise and Banff National Park in the next while. I was thinking of bringing along the 24-70 f/2.8, but wanted to know what your opinions were on using the sharpest possible lens for landscapes on a D90 body. I'll most likely be renting whichever lense is going to produce the sharpest photos possible. The photos taken may be used in print for a photo contest I want to enter. Any input would be apreciated!

Cheers,

Sapper

not a bad choice what you have there. what time of day will you be shooting?

here are some links to aid in your research:
What's the Best Landscape Lens?
What is the sharpest possible landscape lens?: Nikon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Best Nikon Lenses for Landscape Photography

you could also type...."sharpest possible lens for landscapes" "crop sensor" or similar into searchbot of choice.
then the post may drive a more specific inquiry based more on data than opinion.
like, will the 12-24 tokina be better for a morning shoot at said location around dawn than the nikon 14-24? 17-55?
i too would be interested in the results of your research, i hope to acquire both the 14-24 and 24-70(which i hear is are both great )
are you hauling a tripod? a good one?
happy shooting,

aaron

The Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 AT-X PRO is the best ultra-wide DX lens made by any manufacturer. If you want the best on a D90, you can't skip that lens. Also, they just added an(other) aspherical element and a silent focusing motor to the lens and called it the second version and added another $50. So, you won't be disappointed with either of them. Or either of Sigma's 10-20mm lenses (they make an F/4-5.6 and F/3.5 version). But, the Tokina is king of the hill from anyone making DX ultra-wides.

Mark

Thanks Aaron, I've been searching for what you have provided. Both before and after your post. Funny thing is - if you search "sharpest possible lens for landscapes" "crop sensor" as you stated, the only thing that pops up is this thread on Google :lol:

Mark - one of the lenses that kept popping up in my search is the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. Luckily the place I rent my lenses from has this lens (or an older model) for rent. Not sure if it is the AT-X PRO version, just says Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 IF DX. I'll have to ask when I call them up to place a few on reserve. Everything I've read on this lens says its a stellar lens to use and wipes the floor with Nikon's 17-35 f/2.8 ED

Tokina calls the lens the Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 AT-X PRO DX. There is no other version besides the same thing with a "II" behind it for the second version.

Having said that, I've owned the 11-16 when I was shooting DX, and I now own the Nikon 17-35 while shooting with my D800. I wouldn't say it "wipes the floor" with it by any means. But, it certainly gives it a run for it's money. Unfortunately, the 11-16 only works for DX cameras (although 16mm causes very little to no vignetting). So, no matter. Both have a tendency to have a CA problem. The 17-35 is softer around the corners, which tends to also be a problem. But, it's not too bad whatsoever. The 17-35 is still a stellar lens.

Mark

As others have said... the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 is an amazing lens, but on a DX body like your D90 its not going to be wide enough (it will be 36 -105mm on a crop sensor).

Along with the 11-16 Tokina i'd also recommend the Tokina 12-24mm f/4. You'll loose a bit at the wide end but the flexibility of going to 24mm is very useful. Keep in mind though... there is a big difference between 11mm and 12mm.

Ultra Wide Angle lenses are a bit tricky to use but they are lots of fun!

Thanks for you help guys. I think I'm going to go with the Tonika. Hopefully it does me well. $25 for a weekend to rent it, can't go wrong.

Cheers,

Sapper.

the 18-55 kit lens makes about as good a landscape lens as you will find IMO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back