Landscape mode for quicker shooting.

EaZiE

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been using this setting for lots of shots lately. I keep the aperture almost fully open and then turn on landscape mode. It lets me shoot in lower light but I get full depth of field. Also helpful when you want to freeze action shots.

Anyone else use landscape mode for more than landscapes?

If the aperture would stay wide open, then you would not get full depth of field.

Hence setting the aperture to anything before switching on "landscape mode" should have no effect.

What camera are you talking about anyway, since this will make a difference.

I'm just using a kodak z650. Not a dslr. It was my understanding that landscape mode would cancel out any depth of field given by aperture and put it all in focus, yet you can still have a wide aperture for the light advantage (and in turn a faster shutter speed).
Could be wrong though, maybe landscape mode narrows aperture.

The landscape mode will always favor a narrow aperture and a slower shutter speed so you are either noy using landscape mode or your camera is broken. Just due to the nature of landscape mode you would not generally be able to use it to stop action hence the availability of a sports action mode for stopping action.

I'm just using a kodak z650. Not a dslr.

the laws of optics are the same on all cameras.

It was my understanding that landscape mode would cancel out any depth of field given by aperture and put it all in focus,

ok, if that was possible, then people would never bother with the aperture at all.

But I am afraid it is impossible.

Could be wrong though, maybe landscape mode narrows aperture.

that is what it should do.

Thanks y'all for answering. But instead of just saying I'm wrong could you explain why? So are you saying whenever I put it into landscape mode it automatically narrows the aperture?
My intent on this method is to not focus on any subject in particular but to get the whole frame in quickly, like say if I was doing street photography. I don't see why this method wouldn't work.

Thanks y'all for answering. But instead of just saying I'm wrong could you explain why? So are you saying whenever I put it into landscape mode it automatically narrows the aperture?
My intent on this method is to not focus on any subject in particular but to get the whole frame in quickly, like say if I was doing street photography. I don't see why this method wouldn't work.

OK, well, therefore you have to understand how the image is created, using the glass, the aperture film.

The only way to change DOF for a given focal length of the lens, a given distance to the objects you want in focus and given size of the medium (in your case 35mm film), is to change the aperture. There is no other way.

The only chance to get alot of DOF and a fast shutter speed, is to use very sensitive film (high ISO). then you can use smaller apertures and fast shutter speeds without underexposing.

anyone got a good link to explain it all in detail?

No link from me I'm afraid.

A terrible phrase is "f/8 and be there" which is an old photojournalist adage, and subsequently also applies to street photography. The point is that at f/8 your DOF is so deep that pretty much anything more than three feet away is in focus all the way to infinity. You'll want good light so you can shoot at 1/125th or higher to have a chance at stopping motion, esp. when using a wider prime like 28mm or 35mm.

All you'll have to worry about is framing the shot. Turn off the AF, and just set it to about 8-10 feet away, about half-way to infinity. You'll be fine.

basically landscape mode is closing down your aperture. So you're not getting any advantage that you thought you were...the auto modes do the same thing your manual settings to to change the DOF..but don't make you do it yourself.

f/8 or higher is your friend. Though, you should probably pray for sunshine.

ok, if that was possible, then people would never bother with the aperture at all.

But I am afraid it is impossible.

actually hes right. on most point and shoots including mine changing to landscape mode sets the best focus and does its own auto setting

actually hes right. on most point and shoots including mine changing to landscape mode sets the best focus and does its own auto setting

landscape mode selects a small aperture. this is how it controls DOF.

The OP's idea was that he would select a wide aperture, which is then kept and the camera then gets it all in focus automatically by doing miracles.

landscape mode selects a small aperture. this is how it controls DOF.

The OP's idea was that he would select a wide aperture, which is then kept and the camera then gets it all in focus automatically by doing miracles.

oh ok i didnt read full post. no it doesnt put everythign in focus it just finds a setting due to the lighting.

Here is a simple way to put it: If you're setting the aperature wide open, then switching to Landscape mode, the camera is overiding your previous setting and uses its own based on the lighting conditions.

Like Alex said, its impossible to be wide open and have everything in focus.

If you want to have better luck with taking clear landscape photos where everything is in focus and you don't have to worry about getting enough light, invest in a tripod. That way the tiniest camera shake is taken away and having that narrower aperture isn't a problem.

Good luck on future shots!

Landscape mode is usually aperture priority mode with the camera choosing the smallest aperture that still allows for safe hand held shutter speed. There are only 3 exposure controls: aperture, shutter, and ISO. All exposure modes are variations of aperture and shutter with the occasional ISO and flash adjustment thrown in.

i rarely use preprogrammed modes such as that. i stick to Aperature, Shutter Speed Mode, Programmed Mode (closest to auto), and Manual Modes

Most reactions

Back