Landscape SLR

Fester

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I have been wanting to have a go at Landscape photography for awhile now and MF and LF are still out of my price range, but it seems Film SLRs are well within my budget of around £100ish/$150ish I'm not to fussed about having all the bells and whistles but the camera must have depth of field preview. Any camera & equipment recommendations and hints and tips would be most apresiated.

Thanks

I would go for an older manual focus camera from the 70s/80s with a couple of prime lenses (24mm or 28mm at the wide end, a 50mm and a 135mm or 200mm at the longer end). Examples of such cameras: Pentax Spotmatic F, Nikon FM/FM2, Olympus OM1... Those were all very well built and should have stood the test of time well. They feel very solid in your hands and are a delight to use.

Also, purchasing a tripod (if you don't already have one) might be useful for landscape shots, to allow for slower shutter speeds required for deeper depth of field.

MF is NOT out of your range!

Look around for a TLR. Framing takes a (very) little getting used to but after that you will be well pleased with the results.

With a little shopping you should be able to get a Yashica MAT 124 (don't bother with the G as it's the same basic camera with gold on the meter contacts- and the meter isn't all of that anyway. The 124 has stronger winder gears to boot!), an older but still serviceable hand held meter, and a dozen rolls of top grade film for under 150 pounds. It doesn't have to be a Yashica of course, there are several great TLRs out there.

Thanks for the replies.

I will have to look into TLR's

Thanks

Take a lot around at some local camera shops.

I found a local one that has some Mamiya RB67's lens and such that one can get into for the same price as a SLR package. I could get the body and a 90mm lens for like $500.

Medium format is likely within your reach more than you think.

Another option is to consider an older bellows camera like the Agfa Isollete or similar set-up.

Look around for a TLR. Framing takes a (very) little getting used to but after that you will be well pleased with the results.

With a little shopping you should be able to get a Yashica MAT 124 (don't bother with the G as it's the same basic camera with gold on the meter contacts- and the meter isn't all of that anyway. The 124 has stronger winder gears to boot!), an older but still serviceable hand held meter, and a dozen rolls of top grade film for under 150 pounds. It doesn't have to be a Yashica of course, there are several great TLRs out there.

The problem is that cheaper TLRs, such as the Yashica MAT 124, tend to come with a normal lens (around 80mm lens), which might not be wide enough for landscape. Don't get me wrong, TLRs are wonderful cameras and I'd love to shoot with a Yashica MAT 124, but I would find the 75mm lens a bit limiting for landscapes. I would much prefer a 50mm lens but that might be just personal taste.

The problem is that cheaper TLRs, such as the Yashica MAT 124, tend to come with a normal lens (around 80mm lens), which might not be wide enough for landscape. Don't get me wrong, TLRs are wonderful cameras and I'd love to shoot with a Yashica MAT 124, but I would find the 75mm lens a bit limiting for landscapes. I would much prefer a 50mm lens but that might be just personal taste.

This is true, however you can get a lot done with a normal lens. Plus, if you have the negs scanned you can stitch them for panos easily.

A TLR that has interchangeable lenses is the Mamiya C330. These are a little more expensive of course but should be reachable.

The RB 67s would be great for landscapes also though fairly well out of budget. An RB and a 40mm with a sturdy tripod (and a back-brace ;)) would be just about ideal.

I've got a Rollei T with a 75mm lens and it is almost too wide for landscapes. You'll be able to work with a Yashica Mat 124 very easily. TLRs work great for that kind of work.

One thing to keep in mind with MF and LF, is that developing the film can be really $$, unless you do it yourself.

That said, you can buy a LF speed graphic for <$200 if you look hard enough; they typically come with a normal lens (135mm), but you can always add a wider once you have the $$.

35mm landscapes are NOTHING compared to a 4x5 landscape shot!

One thing to keep in mind with MF and LF, is that developing the film can be really $$, unless you do it yourself.

That said, you can buy a LF speed graphic for <$200 if you look hard enough; they typically come with a normal lens (135mm), but you can always add a wider once you have the $$.

I'd go as far as saying that 4x5 cameras are the least expensive film camera to operate. I shoot Shanghia B&W which cost $24 per 50 sheets out of my $100 speed graphic/127mm Ektar and get it proessed for $3 per sheet and scan it with my hacked up $150 scanner with cheap mylar and mounting fluid. HUGE image files and it's fun. I need to start doing my own developing more often to get the cost down even more. Right now I'm just lazy. The most expenisve thing was buying a 1TB external hard drive.

I'd go as far as saying that 4x5 cameras are the least expensive film camera to operate. I shoot Shanghia B&W which cost $24 per 50 sheets out of my $100 speed graphic/127mm Ektar and get it proessed for $3 per sheet and scan it with my hacked up $150 scanner with cheap mylar and mounting fluid. HUGE image files and it's fun. I need to start doing my own developing more often to get the cost down even more. Right now I'm just lazy. The most expenisve thing was buying a 1TB external hard drive.
well, by that measure, my 8x10 field camera is about as cheap as it gets, $40 or so to build the camera, Free lenses (scrounged from process cameras), packard shutter I got for free and Ultrafine Contone Dupe film, around $.65 a sheet.

erie

The processing cost would kill me... I process it myself for 16 cents a sheet (B&W) or about $1 a sheet (e6).

Most reactions

Back