Landscape SLR

Save up for a little longer

buy a Canon 450D 18-55mm kit (what i have, its the only camera i have ever had so far so its the onl onei can guarantee almost 100% true advice with.)

sell the 18-55mm for £60 - 100
buy a 50 mm f1.8, perfect landscape kit...

reason i say get the kit is you get the kit for £30 more than the body alone on amazon
the lens is worth £120 new
which means if you sell it for £60, your saving £30 on your body, sell it for £100 your saving £70 off your body

and the 50mm only costs 70 - 100 pounds
great IQ (between aperture f3.5 - 16)
then just learn to use it (there wont be zoom though, it will be purly portrait and landscape shots)
but the 50mm is more like 80mm on the 450D as it is a 1.6x crop sensor

... which is why it's not a good idea. 80mm is much too narrow for landscape, you need more like 24 - 35mm focal range for film which is like 16-22mm range for digital.

There's no "right" or "wrong" focal length for landscapes. It all depends on what sort of landscape you are trying to make...

Here's a shot at 18mm:

Here's one at 200mm:

They're both landscapes, but with very different purposes.

Hi

I have been wanting to have a go at Landscape photography for awhile now and MF and LF are still out of my price range, but it seems Film SLRs are well within my budget of around £100ish/$150ish I'm not to fussed about having all the bells and whistles but the camera must have depth of field preview. Any camera & equipment recommendations and hints and tips would be most apresiated.

Thanks

Have a look at the Promaster 2500PK.

Most reactions

Back