Landscape

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just thinking that maybe it'd be a good idea to split landscape into two forums; landscape and nature/wildlife.

The nature/wildlife would contain wildlife, flower/macro shots etc. while landscape would remain for the more conventional definition.

I think it would allow more hang-time for the posters and garner more feedback.

Well, I'll fourth that.

Sorry for the delay in response, guys.

Well, you know it’s always a balancing act between having a good variety of subject matter in the general galleries, and having it become so splintered that it’s too time consuming to find the right one to post in, or view images.

As a member who has been here since 2003, I can recall the days when there was the General Gallery - and not much else! :lol: As the forum grew, complaints about images being driven too quickly to the bottom of the page or out of sight on the second page led to the decision to have Galleries sorted by subject matter. Now, those display issues have improved, but we have gotten feedback that there are so many Galleries it’s hard to keep up with who is posting what.

Given that nature and landscape are so similar in genre, I’m inclined to let it be for now. If there is wildlife present in what a photographer basically considers a landscape shot, the lines get fuzzy very quickly. Please help us by paying attention to logistical issues like images being forced off the front page too soon – if it really gets to be a problem we can address it again.

Also, please remember to use the Themes forum if you have a specific image that doesn't seem to belong anywhere else. :)

Given that nature and landscape are so similar in genre, I’m inclined to let it be for now. If there is wildlife present in what a photographer basically considers a landscape shot, the lines get fuzzy very quickly.

If the photographer basically considers a landscape shot a landscape shot then they'd probably post it in the landscape gallery regardless of whether it has a sheep on a mountain side or not.

I maybe wrong but I've never seen anyone complain if a black and white photo of a tree gets posted in the landscape/nature gallery instead of the black and white gallery

If your worried about the lines getting fuzzy why are other galleries other than the general gallery?

Please help us by paying attention to logistical issues like images being forced off the front page too soon – if it really gets to be a problem we can address it again.

I thought that was the whole point of this thread, abraxas is asking for the landscape/nature gallery to be split because posts are getting moved of the page quickly.

How about replacing the Lensbabies gallery, as only 39 posts have ever been created in there since Feb 2006, with a wildlife gallery?

If its a problem with more work for the Mods how about creating a few new ones? How about creating a few Landscape only Mods and maybe a few wildlife only Mods alone the lines of the Critique gallery Mods?

just a few thoughts
Andy

If the photographer basically considers a landscape shot a landscape shot then they'd probably post it in the landscape gallery regardless of whether it has a sheep on a mountain side or not.

I maybe wrong but I've never seen anyone complain if a black and white photo of a tree gets posted in the landscape/nature gallery instead of the black and white gallery

If your worried about the lines getting fuzzy why are other galleries other than the general gallery?

I thought that was the whole point of this thread, abraxas is asking for the landscape/nature gallery to be split because posts are getting moved of the page quickly.

How about replacing the Lensbabies gallery, as only 39 posts have ever been created in there since Feb 2006, with a wildlife gallery?

If its a problem with more work for the Mods how about creating a few new ones? How about creating a few Landscape only Mods and maybe a few wildlife only Mods alone the lines of the Critique gallery Mods?

just a few thoughts
Andy
I would have to agree with this. I know mods are busy but if people are willing to help with these changes and many people want them, I don't see why not.

Exactly my point. ;) Hence little need to split the two, since it all comes down to photographer's interpretation, regardless of the ease in keeping the two subjects together.

I'm not sure I understand the question. We've just tried to keep a balance between having a nice variety of specific galleries without letting them blend so closely it becomes meaningless. There is little fuzziness between the Landscape/nature Gallery and, say, the Photojournalism Gallery.

It's not simply a matter of thread counts. Lensbabies are quite unique in design. It was felt a subforum would be the best way to showcase the images, regardless of the category of subject matter. Additionally, Lensbaby as a company have been extremely supportive of TPF. We are fortunate to have them maintaining a special presence here. :)

Honestly, it's not a matter of more work for the current Mods. By keeping the Galleries limited in number and theme, it is simpler to navigate for the general membership. In the long run, I think more work would actually be created if we split out the forums too much and created section Mods to oversee them - ultimately, it would appear that they would be deciding where threads should be posted. Our members have made it clear in the past, certainly in the instance of the Critique forum, that less moderation is preferred.

Most reactions

Back