Landscapes and Custom White Balance

I've been hemming and hawing to buy this for a while now:

PhotoVision: Product List

I just really hate to spend $60 for 3 tones of fabric on a collapsible hoop if I can work out something less expensive to do the same job. :p If anyone here is using it, I'd love to read about your experience with them.

buckster: thank you so much for the link! i've been trying to find the source of this card for a while now.

i dont have any first hand experience, but i shot with a pro fashion shooter last month. he's the son of my gf's friend, and she got me hooked up to follow him around and learn some stuff about shooting models and lighting and such. anyways...he showed me this very card, how to use it, the spikes on the histogram it creates and the like. it was very cool and very easy to use. i had forgotten the name thus my search was halted. i see the 14" (which appears to be the size he had) is only $35 now as its on sale!

im going to order one and see how it goes. :D
Cool! Be sure to give us a full review after testing!

Cool! Be sure to give us a full review after testing!

I have the 14" and it is a good size. Have also used the reflector to get a little bit of extra light. Kind of wished I had gotten the 24" but wanted something compact to carry when I was hiking in.

I do shoot RAW, but like to use this to get the initial pass as close as possible. To the OP, I think that you would be better setting your WB with your grey card.

Last edited:
I shoot a reference card at times but if I do not have it but have some time I will either shoot auto but mostly I use my live view and adjust the wb while looking at the rear screen. You can get very close with this if you have live view and some time. Another option is to do that for a reference point and then use the WB bracket option. I shoot raw plus JPG so I always have the raw file but this saves time if i get it right the first time.

I picked up a Kodak 18% grey card from a local shop for $4. Its not the full letter sized one, those were $8. I think it works great, but then I am not a professional. Anywhere I move the pickup tool on the photo of it seems to be within a total range of 100 for the temperature. The hue only seems to ever vary by 1. Maybe it isn't as accurate as a $50-100 tool, but for $4 I have nothing to complain about.

Most reactions

Back