Landscapes?

TeeZeeMee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey, I have had my 60D for a few weeks now and want to get outside and try to get some really good nature/landscape shots.

My question is for any pointers and also, I have a 50mm and the kit 18-135 lenses... would i need anything else?

In addition, off topic, I have been interested in a wide angle lens. what would it be good for? they seem to make some really sweet pictures.

What sort of pointers are you looking for? What types of landscapes are you going "get outside" and do - prairies, mountains, seascapes, cityscapes? Are you interested in doing what have been called "intimate landscapes"? Tell us a bit more and then maybe you will get some "pointers".

As far as a wide-angle lens is concerned, your 18-135 should give you some "wide-angle" capabilities now. With the 60D, you could look at the EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM as noted here - EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - Canon Canada Inc. . As for what they are good for, just like name says - wide-angle shots of the landscape, but then it depends what types of landscapes you are interested in. I have the 16-35mm f2.8 L and I use it, on my 5D, for landscapes and I also use it for shots when I can't get back far enough to get the whole picture - gives a bit of distortion, but then that's "artistic licence" ;). HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

WesternGuy has pointed out really important aspects and issues... love to take them into account!

around here it is mainly mountains, and lakes. i will do cityscapes whenever i head out of town to a larger urban area

around here it is mainly mountains, and lakes. i will do cityscapes whenever i head out of town to a larger urban area

I would think that the wide end of your 18-135 should be good to start with and maybe to keep you going for a while, although at 18mm there is vignetting wide open, barrel distortion and noticeable chromatic aberration (CA) as indicated in this review - Canon 18-135mm Lens Review - photo.net . The review also notes that these can be over come by shooting at a smaller f-stop and can be corrected in post-processing by shooting in raw. I am assuming this is the lens you have although you did not indicate it was an IS lens. If you can't tolerate the vignetting and CA, then you may want to move up to something different in the future. For now, I would go with what you have and when you get disatisfied, look at the 10-22 that I mentioned in my previous post. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

18mm should be plenty wide enough to start out with. If you find you run into multiple scenes where you wish you could back up some more, but can't, then start looking for something wider.

There is always something else one "thinks" they need ha ha ha... But I would seriously consider getting a tripod and remote shutter. UV filters, ND filters GND filters, and CPL filters if you don't already have them.

18mm should be plenty wide enough to start out with. If you find you run into multiple scenes where you wish you could back up some more, but can't, then start looking for something wider.

There is always something else one "thinks" they need ha ha ha... But I would seriously consider getting a tripod and remote shutter. UV filters, ND filters GND filters, and CPL filters if you don't already have them.
Unless they're shooting film, UV filters are a waste of money.

For landscape photography a good camera and lenses are of good help, but the crucial things are:

- good light / right time of the day
- willingness to change perspective / move / walk in the landscape
- PATIENCE (with the light and the weather)
- dedication and the will to repeat / return (on some days you just cannot force it, return another day, or another time of the year even)

For good landscape pictures, forget the camera at home. Seriously. Alex_B has some very good advice. Did you notice that none of it had anything to do with the camera? And that's because to take great landscapes, you first have to find it. Then you have to go there when the seasons are right, and the light is right. Once you have a candidate, then come the next set of questions: What framing is most effective at dramatising the view? Could be a wide-angle. Or it could be a "normal" lens. Or it could be a telephoto. It depends on whether you want distance compression or scale exaggeration. Do you want deep DOF? or perhaps something a little bit more shallow, more intimate? Do you want everything to be crystal-clear, or do you want to create a sense of mystery, of possibilities not yet fulfilled? Believe it or not, with a camera in your hand, those questions never get answered, because the "click", "click", "click" drowns out the voices that whisper little insights to your mind.

Tripod, Tripod, Tripod.

+1

If i had a choice between a tripod and a camera i would take the tripod because if i took the camera all the photos would come out gross anyways :lmao:

But seriously get a tripod especially if your doing sunsets.

I've been attempting landscape photography for years now, and even though I live in one of the most beautiful locations anywhere, I only have a few outstanding shots. Landscape photography is HARD. All of the elements have to be working with you. One stray cloud venturing too close to the sun (relative to your location) can be a detriment to a great shot. Arrive at your location 30 seconds too late, and the light is now crap. You have to be in the right place at the right time. And I don't say this because luck is the only factor (it actually plays a part, but without you knowing what you're doing, your chances of getting an amazing shot are almost nil).

Here's my advice:

Scout locations ahead of time. When you do this, don't go thinking you're going to shoot. Go thinking about how the lighting will look at different times of the day, and how it might look in a different season. Use a smart phone camera to take a few "test" shots, to geotag your photos (so you know where it was taken) and take some notes about the place. I've put together a Word doc that has a bunch of locations on it. With it, I have images I took with my iPhone, as well as a map that shows where the location is. I have notes here as well that have things I might want to know. These notes could be things about what time the best light would be. If the place would look good with snow (or flowers in the spring, or whatever), if the ocean is involved, would it be more dramatic at high or low tide.

Then, when it looks like the conditions will cooperate, I'll pick a location or two that I think would look great, then head out making sure I arrive atleast a half an hour before when I think the best lighting will be, usually I try to be an hour before. Rarely do great landscapes happen by accident. They happen because you're knowledgeable about what you're doing, and you have a feeling about what makes for the best conditions. And even then, there is no guarantee.

Really though, I can't tell you how important it is to scout locations ahead of time. My notes have around 50 different locations in it. I'm always finding new locations, and adding them to my file. But really, scouting and taking good notes I think is absolutely key to good landscape photography. YMMV

Wow! Thanks so much!!!! Yea I got a pretty decent tripod and I love all this advice!

on the move!!!!!!

Personally I would shy away from that one as I wouldnt want that much weight hanging on a 1/4" screw with a 3/8" adaptor and it doenst look very portable and easy to set up. I would go with one of the larger CF tripods by Gitzo, Induro etc. For my Canon 400 2.8L I use a Gitzo 3 series CF tripod. Yes they cost more but have a lifetime warranty and you will never need to buy another.

Personally I would shy away from that one as I wouldnt want that much weight hanging on a 1/4" screw with a 3/8" adaptor and it doenst look very portable and easy to set up. I would go with one of the larger CF tripods by Gitzo, Induro etc. For my Canon 400 2.8L I use a Gitzo 3 series CF tripod. Yes they cost more but have a lifetime warranty and you will never need to buy another.

:scratch:

Most reactions

Back