Langley Airshow 2005

Danger Zone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Here some pictures taken by me at the Langley Airshow 2005.

More pictures can be seen at my website: www.danger-zone.fotografeert.nl

880231.jpg

880353.jpg

880364.jpg

880402.jpg

880435.jpg

Hope you enjoyed these shots!!

And don't forget to have a look at my website!!

Best regards, Rob.

YEA NASA WHOO HOOO NASA!!!!

OK, sorry.

I like the pics, but what's up with #3? Is the plane flying though the clouds?

And what's on fire (the NASA plane?)

Erm... the plane in the last photo looks like it might have a small fire!

Great shots - especially capturing the sound barrier - they're not allowed to do that at Biggin Hill near me because of all the houses.

Rob

Yep indeed....that's what they call...the sound barrier!!

This is as far as I know not allowed at airshow in Europe.
But must say, it an awesome sight/sound!!

Love to go back to the U.S.A. again in the future.

By the way: 1st shot is a B.757 of the NASA
2nd shot is a F-86A former USAF
3rd shot is a F/A-18F of the US Navy
4th shot is a F-15C of the USAF
and the 5th is a nice piece of pyrotechnics. (during the F/A-18 demo)

More shots of my US East Coast Tour can be seen at my website!!

Best regards, Rob.

Another aviation fan! :thumbup:

I like them all but #s 3 and 4 are the standouts for me. :D

no offence i doubt that thats a pic of the plane breaking the sound barrier. planes arent allowed to break the sound barrier at air shows from my knowledge. im not sure the people attending would appreciate having all of their car windows blown out :p

i forget the term for it, but its just a cloud of air that gets trapped behind the wings.

awesome pics nonetheless. the f15 looks like a beauty as always.

NYY said:
no offence i doubt that thats a pic of the plane breaking the sound barrier. planes arent allowed to break the sound barrier at air shows from my knowledge. im not sure the people attending would appreciate having all of their car windows blown out :p

i forget the term for it, but its just a cloud of air that gets trapped behind the wings.

awesome pics nonetheless. the f15 looks like a beauty as always.

As much as I want to agree with you...I just keep looking at the shot and it just looks too authentic. I am pretty sure it is breaking the sound barrier.

Anyway, awesome shots...any story behind the fire ball? Perhaps a simulated bombing run?

Not being into planes at all and totally unable to photograph them, unless they stand firmly on the ground of an airport, also my immediate impression upon seeing Photo 2 was: wow, he caught that one while it was breaking through the sound barrier! For I have seen photos of that happening before and they looked very much like this. Plus Rob himself says

But must say, it an awesome sight/sound!!

So he must know.

To be catching that very moment.... wow.

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for all the nice compliments!!

The reason the car windows aren't blown out during the sonic boom is that the plane is flying at a very low level. The soundwaves are very short at that level so no damage can be done.

With sonic booms at medium level the waves are much longer so it's easier to break any window.

At airshows in Europe it's not allowed to make such a pass. However at airshow in the US it happens more often.

Hope this helps a bit...

Best regards, Rob.

Wow! That is an amazing shot! I actually saw on Daily Planet (science show on Discovery channel in North America) about how they make those exact pyrotechnics! Very interesting. They basically use gasoline in milk jugs and use special timing charges to set them off in a delayed row and not all at once. You probly knew that, but it was still pretty fascinating. And wow, catching a plane through the sound barrier is amazing!

Most reactions

Back