Lansing Bridge Panorama

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
You know how you shoot all those multi-frame panoramas and never get around to assembling them? I love to shoot panoramas, but it can take me awhile to finally put them together. Oh dear do I have a backlog!

Here's one I finally assembled today that was shot back in 2005 -- three frames. This is the bridge at Lansing Iowa. It's my favorite Mississippi river bridge (I've seen them all). The trick to this shot is it was done hand-held from a moving canoe.

Joe

$lansing_bridge.jpg

Pretty cool. Makes me wish I had a long bridge nearby to shoot. Our bridges are tiny. lol. I think there is a decent on out near Eastport though, you just sparked a task for me, lol thanks.

I used paintshop pro and adobe in playing with my pans. I found adobe soooooo much quicker and easier...needing very little touch up. I did both manually assembling and auto assembling and with adobe, there was not much difference. I really like how it does it. It did make for some color issues and exposure issues I had to correct doing upright panaoramas on short buildings, but other than that, I love it.

I can't find my 3 shot one, but here is my 5 shot one. Not very pretty scene, but that wasnt the point, I was testing assembling the shots. It is a view accross the border, the other side of the river is Canada.

$Untitled_Panoramaresized.jpg

I can easily see the seams in the sky... are you shooting in manual or some form of auto expsure?

me or him? lol.

If me, I just used landscape point n shoot, didn't do any editing to speak of. Just wanted to snap a few and see how to put them together. When it's small, you can see discoloration in the sky but when its full size I can't really tell.

many of my pics are testing pics, just testing one or two things, not all things. So there will be errors in most all of them. ;-)

me or him? lol.

If me, I just used landscape point n shoot, didn't do any editing to speak of. Just wanted to snap a few and see how to put them together. When it's small, you can see discoloration in the sky but when its full size I can't really tell.

many of my pics are testing pics, just testing one or two things, not all things. So there will be errors in most all of them. ;-)

It's in the full-size that I noticed it.

lol well this is his thread not mine. I'll do more and put them up for c&c I redid it real quick , used different settings, used only 3 images, much better. I was concerned with the detail of riverbank more than the sky at the time, figured it be easier to edit sky than the detail of things on bank.

me or him? lol.

I'm bettin' it's you. You can find my seams in the water -- I hate cloning those bleep bleep wave seams.

On a seven week canoe trip down the river some camera compromise was in order, but I did at least have a camera that I could lock on manual exposure. When doing a panorama always determine the exposure for the total scene and then lock that in manually. Then use a longer lens and more frames rather than a short lens and fewer frames. I remember trying this with film 25 years ago and grabbing a 28mm lens -- nothing like trying to seam together vignetted corners.

Hey Buckster -- thanks. If I remember correctly you're the bridge man. I recall seeing some spectacular bridge shots of yours. I love this bridge because it seems to be an exercise in engineering minimalism; I can't believe looking at it that the center section doesn't just fall into the river. It has a wonderful baroque approach from up river as there's nearly a 90 degree turn just above the bridge. You don't see it until you make the turn and then you're nearly under it.

Joe

Most reactions

Back