Large expanse of water

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cheshirecatcarclub.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please let me know what you think of this photo of a Fjord in Norway. Take with a FujiFilm DX7 compact digi so it's not the sharpest image!

The two main things I'd like to hear about are, (as well as anything else)

1/ The composition. Is it too open to find a focus or subject? I am hoping it draws the eye up the fjord to the snow topped mountains in the background.

2/ The colour. This is the un-edited colour the camera recorded. It was quite a bright day with broken clouds but for some reason the photo has turned out very blue!

norwegienfjord5xc.jpg

Many thanks.

The partial dock adds a nice touch. The composition is good and my eye is definetly drawn to the mountains. I love the title.

Technically not too bad. The colour temp takes some getting used to in most digital cameras. Colour in general takes some getting used to. Most cameras have a variety of settings. We will need all the exif info to help. Generally digi cams (at least) have auto, cloudy, shady and sunny settings. Try experimenting with these.

59 views and 2 replies! It's either OK so nobody wants to pull it up or so bad it's not worth mentioning!

The camera only has a couple of settings, auto, sunny, indoor and 2 white balance? It was probably set to auto as at the time I didn't have a clue what they were for!
Strangely I was going to cut the little dock thingy out but left it in because it just looked odd without it! :confused:

well I'd try lowering an angle... if you for example kneel to get a little bit of ground under the left pole you will nicely close the composition in the bottom. I like the softness and a dominant blue here. It makes a feeling of very early morning.

Give people here in Critique time, PlasticSpanner. What you want here are not just comments, you want critique. That requires some thought, I should say. Some, like myself, might even come to look and feel inadequate to really critique a photo (which did happen to me when I came here first yesterday). Plus neither of us know how many non-members come to the forum just to look but never to reply?

Anyhow, personally I'd have gone down a bit in luminosity in a post-processing session, and a little up in contrast. Somehow that alone makes the colours jump out more, since you're not going to be back at this place any time soon now for a re-shoot, right? ;)

The composition is very pleasing. For an instance I felt like the horizon was a tad slanted, but when I compared it to the upper frame, I had to acknowledge that it is not. Don't know why I seemed to see it like that at first. (Crooked eyes?)

I do not mind the cold colour at all. Your camera may have been put to one of the two white balances? Not auto? Anyhow, this being North Norway, I think the cool blue goes well with the theme.

If you had pointed the camera only a trifle more downwards so it'd be obvious where this one of the two poles comes from that now seems to grow out of the frame, it would now not bother you that much. It does not bother me overly much, either, mind, for it adds to the scale and depth of the photo.

Those are my thoughts.
Not very expert, but well... that's all I can do.

Sorry for seeming impatient! I'm still getting used to this forum and it's speed!:blushing: Other forums I use tend to move very fast with new posts each minute! Thank you for all your replies. An expert can tell me where i've gone wrong on technical areas but just as important is other amature photographers like myself saying whether it looks like a good photo or not! (rather than just me slagging my own photos off!:) )

We might be going back in the future as my wife would like to take our son there! Although I wonder if I would be able to find the place again!:(

I'm still not sure about the posts at the bottom though. Maybe as Mentos said a lower angle to include where the post is coming from might help? But I do like the colour even though it's nothing like what I could see when I took the photo!

I'm still quite undecided about looking interesting on the whole though. I may come back to it in another couple of years & try to decide then!:lol:

I really love the blue color. It gives a very mysterious feel to the scene. Also the posts are good since they are pointing up that is what draws your eye to the mountains. Well, my eye anyway! Maybe you could try just making the posts & dock a bit lighter and PS, then they wouldn't be such a harsh contrast to all that blue.

Overall it's a beautiful pic though!

-Julie

I'd rather see it without the dock, it adds nothing to the image, only takes away. That is a sellable image with the dock. You'd never see a dock in a picture like that in a store, right?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back