Large Format Question.....

wishbone_17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking at a move to large format photography and while researching all that comes with it I was wondering if someone could tell me how photographers "proof" the shot before they start to shoot with the subject?

I have seen Timothy Greenfield-Sanders use a what is essentially a large polaroid but I was wondering what people will do when the Polaroid is gone? It there a way to check light with a digital camera? I know a lot of photographers are using the Canon G9 to proof when using medium format because it has a hot shoe for the Pocket Wizard.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I've switched to Fuji instant films for 4x5, as have my friends who still use LF film. It's a problem for 8x10 proofs, however. We stocked up on 8x10 Polaroid when it was still available, but we will run out, and we will probably go fully digital for the commercial work that requires 8x10/letter proofing and discussion.

Fuji don't make 8x10 instant film, and have said that they do not intend to.

As reg suggests, you don't need to proof most of the time.

Best,
Helen

Although I occasionally shot Polaroid in my 4x5s, I never used it to proof. Personal film and developer testing, previsualization, the zone system, and a good spot meter worked for me.

Using a digital camera as a proofing system should work as long as plenty of personal testing is done to see how what the digital camera is showing compares to the results on film.

As I was starting to learn about digital I fantasized about a light meter I could program with my film and developing characteristics, and it would give me an accurate histogram. Now I imagine a low res digital back for 4x5 cameras that could be calibrated to the film/developer/processing the photographer is using. We have the technology. It's just a matter of whether it's affordable or not.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back