Large Hadron Earth Exploder?

but $9B?? Surely Mythbusters could have done it for less than that :lol:. I know the exsistence of the earth, how, when and why, is important and facinating, even to me, but what happens if these tests either 1. Fail 2. are inconclusive 3. destroys the planet or puts a massive crater in it. Where do the scientists go from there?? My only concern is that money is being poured into research like this, yet cancer councils around the world are begging for donations so that they can continue their own research into terminal deseases and illnesses. One poor girl in India even killed herself in fear of the earth blowing up due to these tests. Just misinformed I guess.

When I first saw this thread, at a glance, I thought it said Large hardon earth explorer.

For all we know this project could cure cancer. I'm sure everyone thought they were spending too much studying quantum mechanics. Look what came out of that (MRI is all I can think of off the top of my head but that in itself is HUGE).

Unfortunately, support for pure science (both financial and intellectual) is going the way of the wooly monkey. People are willing to fund projects with "known" outcomes, but not basic research. Unfortunately, the best way of getting from point "a" to point "b" is not necessarily a straight line. We don't always know what the proper means to an end will be. If basic science dies, so does the advancement of human knowledge and, in kind, the discovery of currently unforseen technologies. Of course we need to fund it.

http://www.trivia-library.com/b/acc...overy-and-invention-practical-photography.htm

I don't want to start a political discussion here, but I can think of many ventures that we are currently sinking money into that should have those funds withdrawn and diverted ...

Last edited:
For all we know this project could cure cancer. I'm sure everyone thought they were spending too much studying quantum mechanics. Look what came out of that (MRI is all I can think of off the top of my head but that in itself is HUGE).

What if they can great energy by particle collision? New renewable energy resources. The ability to make a propulsion system that can take us to another galaxy. The ability to make black holes that swallow the Earth.

Limitless possibilities.

In all honesty, I hope you are both right. I really hope they discover something far beyond expectations that can advance us into the future even if Im not around to experience it.

In all honesty, I hope you are both right. I really hope they discover something far beyond expectations that can advance us into the future even if Im not around to experience it.

Well if they discover how to create black holes, none of us will be around to experience it.

And does that website say "YES" yet? I'm too scared to look.

I dunno, sometimes I find it ironic that we spend so much money on things like space exploration, military, and now this when all that money can help the human race, whether it be eliminating poverty, delivering education to everyone, or curing diseases. However, I find it extremely interesting to read about all of the details, logistics and theory behind these massive experiments.

I dunno, sometimes I find it ironic that we spend so much money on things like space exploration, military, and now this when all that money can help the human race, whether it be eliminating poverty, delivering education to everyone, or curing diseases. However, I find it extremely interesting to read about all of the details, logistics and theory behind these massive experiments.

I don't lump military in with those other uses ... and that's the rub ... (... goes back to sitting on his $900 toilet seat and thinking about these issues ...)

Jus' think about if there were a black hole created, the horror of the last few seconds/milliseconds of our existence. Would we be conscious of the first few moments, sliding across the earth and into the seas, or being sucked down through the crust, mantle and core of the planet?- How long would we last? Would we crushed by rubble from our homes and offices? Would there be a rumble, click or would there just all of a sudden be blackness? Will there be a heaven? Tick-tock, tick-tock,... I'm saying my goodbyes now, er,... maybe I'll wait until after lunch.

Kinda reminds me about the story where it was so windy one night it blew the light from a cars headlights under the vehicle. The only way to see to drive home was by backing up.

In some ways our efforts to help people are very counterproductive. We're not going to help people by trying to pull them up kicking an screaming the best way is to show them what they can have and give them possible solutions to their problems we can't solve their problems for them. We can however advance ourselves and possibly with our greater understanding learn to show them the way more efficiently. In some regards even us saying we're showing them the way is very arrogant some people don't WANT what we have. I'm not saying one should never help another but first analyze your motives and your probability of making a positive change before you begin.

I i'm a dork, but that black hole maker reminds me of Half Life:lol:

On serious note, I don't beilive in the big bang, so even as cool as this thing is, it was a big waste of money.

I i'm a dork, but that black hole maker reminds me of Half Life:lol:

On serious note, I don't beilive in the big bang, so even as cool as this thing is, it was a big waste of money.

"...I never expected to even see a resonance cascade, let alone create one!"

On a serious note: what if it proves it? Not believeing something with concrete scientific proof is just daft.

well for 9 billion dollars someone could of bought a Star Bucks grande Latte, and maybe one for a friend:lol:

Why is there always a fuss when the world is going to explode? Let it go . . . Buffy will save us.

... just remember ... the answer is "42" ...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back