Large lense with a digital back.

Scratchy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I don't know how many in this forum use large/medium format stuff, but if any of you do, I need a recommendation for a lense adaptor, or a medium format body. I currently use Hasselblad H1 bodies with Leaf Aptus backs, and Hasselblad CF backs. My issue is that my studio is getting requests to shoot concerts, operas, and sporting events, but currently we have no lense suited for this purpose. I have looked at the offerings from Hasselblad, and the largest they offer is 300mm/4.5. Optimally I would like a Canon 500mm, but I have so far been unable to find an adaptor to marry such a lense to an H system body. So if anyone knows of such an adaptor, or a body which can take a 500mm lense (non-mirror) and a Leaf digital back, or even creative ideas... please let me know. Thanks.

Canon lenses are designed to be used with 35mm or digital, so, I don't think they are going to cover the field of view of your medium format backs. If you are set on shooting digital, then look at a Canon digital body like the 1D MKII.

The only problem is that it cannot be an integrated CCD such as the 1D mark II (CCD is too small and too low-res). The target usage for our photos are magazines and billboards, so 8.1 MPx isn't going to cut it when I have 22, 33, and 39 MPx backs already sitting on a shelf. :(

I do not personally fell that MF would work that well for action shots to slow (frames per second). IMO the way to go is EOS-1Ds MkII it is a full frame 16.7mp and shoots at 4-fps or EOS-1D MkIIn it's 8.2mp at 8-fps with a 1.3 crop factor, a long with all Canon lens options. A good DSLR would be far better and easier that any MF.

I have EOS-1D MkIIn and 70-200 f2.8 IS it good set up for shooting sports in day light. But the lens is a little slow hand held at night.

Most reactions

Back