Large Photo Printing

decado

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Are there websites in which you can send your images to be printed much larger than your average home printer would do? I want to have like a 2'x6' panorama photo printed. Also, what is the biggest size (in 4x6 aspect) that you could print a 15mp image without losing any quality? Maybe 2'x6' would be too big (without stitching).

I recommend Adoramapix (Adoramapix.com). You can get poster-size prints from them from digital files.

or buy a higher end imaging printers

I'm going to make the claim that buying a high end printer is not worth it and a waste of money. For the cost of the printer, ink, and paper -- the marginal cost is a lot cheaper with an online photo service like Walmart. Unless you print thousands of pictures a month and I'm talking tens of thousands or need instant printing -- the hypothetical person and OP is better off with one of these print services.

In fact, just about 99.99% of all users here are better off a print service than buying a high end printer.

Google rasterbator. I've only printed off one shot (7 sheets of paper wide by 3 tall with all borders cut off and taped together so roughly 6'x2') and from across a room the quality looked pretty darn good (and this was using a 4mp camera). Theoretically you can also create a custom paper size of 6'x2' and make it print one big image, but I've never tried that. I've since changed to printing 20"x30"s at sams club (the largest they print) and framing them.

You can print as big as you wish.

There will always be a 'quality loss' when printing larger, but you have to keep in mind that large prints are not meant to be viewed with your nose pressed up against them.

Take billboards for example, ever see one (with a photo) close up? It probably looks terrible, but from 20-50 feet away, it looks just fine. The same applies to photos that you hang on your wall. It may not look perfect when 1 foot away, but from 5 feet, it will look a lot better.

Besides, it's usually only us photo geeks who will pick on the resolution (or lack thereof)...most other people will just be impressed with the size (and the photo if it's a good one).

Meridianpro.com offers their panoramix prints in 1:3 and 1:4 aspect ratios. All the way up to 30" by 120" . Never used them though.

mpix.com - they are actually having a sale on large format prints now.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back