Larger sensor just a luxury?

Isn't a larger sensor just a luxury? I can only name a larger sensor's benefit - more resolution. A different perspective is debatable - whether it's better or not. Depth of field and low light ability is almost the same, given that the lens is the same size and sensor design is the same (same megapixels). Almost all camera companies only put professional features in their larger cameras now. Is there other benefit for a larger sensor?

I can only speak personally of course, but to me, More Resolution ,hence sharper images, is the whole point..Although I do use a cropped sensor when the extra reach is an advantage that outweighs the definition. but this is quite rare.

A 70-200mm is thousands of dollars too. If the 35-100mm 1.4 sells as much as 70-200mm, it wouldn't be much more expensive than 70-200mm anyway.

If someone can make a 35-100mm f/1.4, it is going to be 5 to 10 times more than 70-200mm f/2.8 (assume the same optical quality)

Can you support your claim? Given a similar optical design, the 35-100mm f/1.4 would be worse in resolution compared to 70-200mm, I'd admit, that's why I said the equivalent lens would have worse resolution and a larger format would only bring higher system resolution. A 35-100mm 1.4 would likely cost 1 time more than the 35-100mm 2.0 if both sells as much as each other and is similar in design. Expensive eh? But, how many 35-100mm 2.0 do they sell? How many, compared to the 70-200mm.

Again, a zoom lens is a compromise in image quality. If you are prepared to pay 5 or 6 thousand pounds for a lens, then you are probably not the sort of person who would compromise. I would assume that you would then go for a specific fixed focal length lens. Also it would be much cheaper and possibly even allow for extra fixed length lenses to be added to your kit???

Isn't a larger sensor just a luxury? I can only name a larger sensor's benefit - more resolution. A different perspective is debatable - whether it's better or not. Depth of field and low light ability is almost the same, given that the lens is the same size and sensor design is the same (same megapixels). Almost all camera companies only put professional features in their larger cameras now. Is there other benefit for a larger sensor?

I can only speak personally of course, but to me, More Resolution ,hence sharper images, is the whole point..Although I do use a cropped sensor when the extra reach is an advantage that outweighs the definition. but this is quite rare.

You're not understanding it. You don't get extra reach.

Hey, one thing, changing focal length and sensor sizes doesn't change perspective, therefore the argument that a larger sensor have more pleasing perspective isn't right.

Most reactions

Back