Last minute trip to Acadia National Park - any advice?

keep an eye on the weather. rain then freezing temps on the way.

Yeah, I’ve been watching it. I’m prepared for the conditions. Just hoping they maintain the roads in Maine as well as they do in my hometown.

The highways all the way through will be fine I'd assume. The drive between the highway and Bar Harbor is an hour plus on state routes that kinda go through the middle of nowhere. You're used to driving in winter crap though, and you have a capable vehicle so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Yeah I’m sure I’ll be okay.

My snow tires ordered three weeks ago remain on back order though, so the tires on my car have me a little nervous.

Not enough to stop me though.

You didn't want to put 1300 miles on those soft compound tires anyways ;)

keep an eye on the weather. rain then freezing temps on the way.

Yeah, I’ve been watching it. I’m prepared for the conditions. Just hoping they maintain the roads in Maine as well as they do in my hometown.

The highways all the way through will be fine I'd assume. The drive between the highway and Bar Harbor is an hour plus on state routes that kinda go through the middle of nowhere. You're used to driving in winter crap though, and you have a capable vehicle so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Yeah I’m sure I’ll be okay.

My snow tires ordered three weeks ago remain on back order though, so the tires on my car have me a little nervous.

Not enough to stop me though.

You didn't want to put 1300 miles on those soft compound tires anyways ;)

Yeah, that’s for damn sure haha

Have fun, be safe Destin. Look forward to seeing what you render.

6.5 hours down. 4 to go.

10 hours is a longer drive than it sounds lol

When we drove up there (it's 5+ hours for us) we made a day of it. I can't be in the car for 5 straight hours with my knee I wouldn't be able to unbend it when we arrived! We stopped in Wells for breakfast then in Freeport for LL Bean and again at the Penobscot Narrows bridge and finally a stop for an early dinner in Camden. It ended up taking us over 9 hours to make it to our hotel in Bar Harbor but it was a nice day and we made it part of our vacation instead of just travel time. Now if you're just going for a few days, maybe not practical to take a whole day getting there but at least stop in Freeport. That LL Bean store is pretty awesome and there are several restaurants right there.

When we drove up there (it's 5+ hours for us) we made a day of it. I can't be in the car for 5 straight hours with my knee I wouldn't be able to unbend it when we arrived! We stopped in Wells for breakfast then in Freeport for LL Bean and again at the Penobscot Narrows bridge and finally a stop for an early dinner in Camden. It ended up taking us over 9 hours to make it to our hotel in Bar Harbor but it was a nice day and we made it part of our vacation instead of just travel time. Now if you're just going for a few days, maybe not practical to take a whole day getting there but at least stop in Freeport. That LL Bean store is pretty awesome and there are several restaurants right there.

I'll stop in freeport on the way home if I have time!

The drive up wasn't bad until I hit portland, but once I got there I drove into the worst freezing rain I've ever experienced. Had to pull off every 20 miles to break an inch of ice off of my headlights and windshield. Just arrived safe at my airbnb, a drive that should have taken 10 hours took over 13.

If the weathers is nice Castine or Stonington are nice areas about 1 - 1.5 from Bar Harbor. Castine has a walking path to a light house. Stonington is nice for sunrises. Traveling home taking Rt 1 will take you through some nice towns along the water. If you have tire issues Twin City Tire in Brewer ME is a bunch of nice guys. Tell them Dawn from O'Reilly's sent you. I am booked most of the week but if you get in trouble let me know. I got Jeep friends in the area. 207-991-2201

Doh. looks like I am a little late. Glad you had a good trip. Great photos!

Doh. looks like I am a little late. Glad you had a good trip. Great photos!

I appreciate it anyway! I’ll be up there again in the summer. Are you from the area?

Benhasajeep and I live in Eddington just outside of Bangor. We don't go to Bar Harbor often. I prefer to go north to Mooshead lake where there is a lot less people.

Benhasajeep and I live in Eddington just outside of Bangor. We don't go to Bar Harbor often. I prefer to go north to Mooshead lake where there is a lot less people.

Good to know! I’ll have to grab lunch or a beer with you guys next time I get up that way!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back