Last poll (hopefully) for the competition, second round- only one to choose

Which one would you choose if you were the judge?

• Total voters
I like the street photo. North Americans as a rule tend to strongly dislike foreground subjects that are out of focus, whereas those from eastern cultures are more accepting of them. It is a cultural preference. Just as a piece of gristle rich meat or poultry is considered a delicacy in China, in the USA, a piece of gristle left in the meal is considered bad,bad food prep. HOPW people look at photos varies from western to eastern cultures, with scientific studies showing different approaches to viewing photos; in the west, we are VERY,very subject centric, and tend to look exclusively at "the subject", while people raised in other cultures tend to spend much more time looking at "the scene". So...be advised...not everybody from all across the world "sees a photo" using the same standards, and the eye movement, lingering times, and eye movement patterns can vary as well. This stuff about photo viewing research and cultural/geographic regional tendencies is mostly found in psychology textbooks at the master's and doctoral levels in the visual perception sub-field.

#! seems the best overall quality and composition, and the shadows add some interest, but it's probably the same type photo a lot of people would take at the zoo.

#2 to me seems more unique, but I'd consider making copies and trying some crops and enlargements - I feel like I want to get in a little closer. The bright green leaf top left of center is distracting, I suppose I'd experiment with cropping the top (and the branch lower right seems a bit of a distraction too, maybe seeing more of it could have been more interesting but as is, I don't know if I'd crop the bottom too and go with a longer horizontal almost pano shot or leave it in, hmm it's a judgement call I guess).

Glad you made it this far in the competition - good luck!

Or you know what, I might try a version cropping the top edge and then a little of the right side to keep a similar proportion to the photo but to get rid of the more narrow part of the branch - that's what I think is drawing my eyes off to that corner, it seems to create a leading line. If it was the rounded/knobby part of the branch in the corner it wouldn't make for a visual distraction so much. So for me I guess it's #1 as is or #2 with some adjustment.

Thank you so much for the describing you thoughts in details Sharon.. It makes me think for sure, may be I'll try out a few different crops and see if I like them :)

Once you sleep on it, maybe see which one sticks with you, pops into your head (or comes to mind) the most. Of the animal photos that is.

The one you just posted seems to have too much of the out of focus person in it.

If nothing else you'll get an idea which of your photos are good based on which ones got into the next round. Submitting your photos might be a learning experience and next time you'll have even more good photos to choose from.

I hope so, although I doubt that there will be a next time in this for me.. I was lucky enough to be selected for the second round TBH :lol:
Congrats for making itbto the second round!

Once again, Derrel and I votes for the same one. I really do love #2. The symmetry, the light. And hey, it already won the kitty war.

:D Thanks Barb, actually winning the kitty war was the only reason I even included this one into the vote.. i.e. after reading your and leonore's comments. I really liked it too, but thought that it was one of those pictures which the photographer tends to be emotionally attached to.

I voted but I think you should enter the one you like best. That way win lose or draw you did it your way :wink:

I only say that as I just lost a contest where I got so much input i ended up entering ones that i didn't even like lol

TBH I like all of them equally, at least now I know that the third one is out of the question and the first two is what's splitting the vote. Thanks Bill :)
Yeahbut... that light on his (her?) face is absolutely fantastic! I like #2 a lot as well, but I just can't get past the light in #1.
Exactly what my problem is, remove that sunlight from her face, and this becomes a pretty ordinary leopard portrait.. Not sure which one to choose yet, just that the contest is between the first two now.. :)

Good morning Raj! I voted ;)

Derrel that all "cultural/geographic regional tendencies about photo viewing" sounds interesting

I like the street photo. North Americans as a rule tend to strongly dislike foreground subjects that are out of focus, whereas those from eastern cultures are more accepting of them. It is a cultural preference. Just as a piece of gristle rich meat or poultry is considered a delicacy in China, in the USA, a piece of gristle left in the meal is considered bad,bad food prep. HOPW people look at photos varies from western to eastern cultures, with scientific studies showing different approaches to viewing photos; in the west, we are VERY,very subject centric, and tend to look exclusively at "the subject", while people raised in other cultures tend to spend much more time looking at "the scene". So...be advised...not everybody from all across the world "sees a photo" using the same standards, and the eye movement, lingering times, and eye movement patterns can vary as well. This stuff about photo viewing research and cultural/geographic regional tendencies is mostly found in psychology textbooks at the master's and doctoral levels in the visual perception sub-field.

Now that really is very interesting for me, I love to study some basic psychology in my free time. Nothing advanced really, only as much as a normal person can understand, but information like these really intrigue me. When I really think about it, for me if the person in the foreground was not so much into the frame, or completely in focus, I would have rejected this picture almost immediately; at the same time Sharon would have prefered a little less of the foreground person. I guess there's nothing right or wrong about it as you rightly pointed out. It's very interesting when we think how these preferences or opinions are formed over the years.. Thanks Derrel, your posts are always very informative :)

Good morning Raj! I voted ;)

Derrel that all "cultural/geographic regional tendencies about photo viewing" sounds interesting

I just knew you'd choose the second one :lol:

Okay, one last thing.. not opening a new thread for just this.. Any opinion on this one? Is it good enough to be included? I am sending 5 animal shots, and 7 people shots and 3 landscape type photos..

I really like the message or emotions this picture conveys, but am wondering whether the picture quality is too bad to be an entry... Just your opinion guys, sending it all in exactly 6 hours time.

8668476287_1a40df1b7c_b.jpg

it's a cute moment but photographically speaking, not so good

jmo

If I were a judge, I would pick #3. My reasons are; #1 has distracting and confusing shadows, which is fine for a hiding predator, but for a photograph, I think you should "show more cat", such as in #3.

Also, #3 has the cat's face framed in foliage which helps to direct one's attention to the cat's eyes.

If I were the photographer, I would crop #3 on the right side to eliminate the tree trunk and most of the bright twig.

$14896522781_bfe9c32c6a_b - Version 2.jpg

That crop changes #3 from a snapshot to a photograph.

If I were a judge, I would pick #3. My reasons are; #1 has distracting and confusing shadows, which is fine for a hiding predator, but for a photograph, I think you should "show more cat", such as in #3.

Also, #3 has the cat's face framed in foliage which helps to direct one's attention to the cat's eyes.

If I were the photographer, I would crop #3 on the right side to eliminate the tree trunk and most of the bright twig.

Wow!! That does look a lot better Designer, I'm really starting to value your inputs now. Although I had already sent the entries by the time you posted, I've included the new crop in my portfolio link I've shared with them. Thanks :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back