Late Night Snack

Pixel9ine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Shot with my A95, Exposure time 6.0s, Aperture f/8.0. Since there weren't any people around (it was 2:45am), I wanted a fair bit of foreground to highlight the emptyness of the sidewalks contrasted with the bustle of tailights.

Incidentally, you can see Toronto's Canon Threatre in this shot, which is fitting given my camera.

Frank feedback appreciated.

50 views and not a single comment. Not even a "you suck!".

It appears my work is not even worthy of a response.. I guess you can say that qualifies as criticism.

Thanks, I guess.

well it does kinda suck... sorry.

but the tailights are not really burn in and far too weak for the surrounding light, the are quite parasitic if you know what i mean. Personally i would prefer the street without them.

Solutions: one would be to swap tailights for headlights. much more powerful, they really leave a mark which would fit quite nicely with the other bright lights in the background. two would be a shorter exposure. that would darken (theoretically) the whole scene and also 6secs is too crowded for light trails fmpov. I usually use 1 or 2 secs for light trails or a full stopped down 30secs when i want to play :) and you have a digital camera, shoot more, practice makes perfect, you know how they say...

the picture is very nice, with lead-in lines and all but that is the only defect, the fact that the red light trails are too weak.

50 views and not a single comment. Not even a "you suck!".

It appears my work is not even worthy of a response.. I guess you can say that qualifies as criticism.

Thanks, I guess.

I've learned quickly that here (and other boards) usually offer limited feedback, unless you're in the select in-crowd. I've also learned you have to be patient. This is the first I've seen this; sometimes, posts just get overlooked by that one or two people who will make a comment. Personally, I really like the shot. I can't comment like eydryan, but I will say that the scene feels very lonely, despite the brightness. The red lights are ghostly.

Keep shooting and keep posting. Overwhelm them with photos until they have to respond? Good luck.

Thanks all for your replies... especially eydryan.

I'd hate it if everyone just praised mediocrity.. frank criticism is the only way people will view their work objectively and improve develop talent they have.

Just for future reference, a lot of times if someone has to click to see a larger shot, or the pic is posted in a link, you're less likely to get replies...we're just that lazy :lol:

as for practicality eydryan had good points. but i dont think practicality would make this image that great. It's a fair idea, but as it's verrry cliche, you'd have to really do something unique to make it special. otherwise it looks like every single other night shot taken in a busy city. Step out of that photographic 'comfort zone' and try something unique-even weird. use the camera as a bendable tool, not a device. Follow practicality tips though, as an image with good creativity and no technical know-how is usually no good. You have a good idea, but i'd try to take that idea further. place interesting things in the frame, for instance, or wait for a good subject to have as a strong focal point. as it is now, there isnt much of a true focal point, it's all just unorganized.

Why is it called late night snack. Because all I see is movement. Maybe FAST TRAFFIC, OR RED LIGHT SPECIAL

dannygirl said:
Why is it called late night snack.
Ahh. glad you asked. ;)

I wasn't able to edit the thread title after posting, and I had posted the wrong picture. But I think I like "Red Light Special".. or maybe "Red Light District"..Red-something anyway.

...At the risk of contaminating this thread, I present to you the original, photoshop-happy, "Late Night Snack" *drum roll please*....
IMG_1280.jpg

Most reactions

Back