Late Summer in Paris

Kulanu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is a shot down the CE looking toward the Arc d' Triomphe. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Paris Lines and Arc Nuit OL Resize.jpg
    Paris Lines and Arc Nuit OL Resize.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 142
So! To be honest, I'm not really attracted by this version of the Arc de triomphe (ok, I'm French, perhaps it doesn't help!!)

I see 3 points!

*First, I'm not able to define the subject here.
-Arc de triomphe? no, it's too small and too far in the picture
-cars? Not enough and not enough symmetry
-Champs Elysées?

*You have a nice line to lead the eye, you did a good 1/3 ratio, but we have so many lights in the center of the picture, at the end, it destabilizes you composition (a long exposure would smooth the right-left balance,and would fill up the foreground).

*Last point: the sky! You have something interesting above the Arc de Triomphe, but it's totally blind with the trees on the edge. The contrast is a little bit too hard for me!

I wanted to be softer in my comment, but I didn't find the words. So I apologize, I didn't wanted to be rude!

So! To be honest, I'm not really attracted by this version of the Arc de triomphe (ok, I'm French, perhaps it doesn't help!!)

I see 3 points!

-Champs Elysées?

*You have a nice line to lead the eye, you did a good 1/3 ratio, but we have so many lights in the center of the picture, at the end, it destabilizes you composition (a long exposure would smooth the right-left balance,and would fill up the foreground).

*Last point: the sky! You have something interesting above the Arc de Triomphe, but it's totally blind with the trees on the edge. The contrast is a little bit too hard for me!

I wanted to be softer in my comment, but I didn't find the words. So I apologize, I didn't wanted to be rude!

Not rude. My thoughts exactly.
I'd rather have correct comment than a nice one, but not everyone feels the same way.

The biggest problem for me is that the Arc is too small to be a strong subject, but all the leading lines draw the eye to it anyway.
This kind of shot needs the compression of a long lens to work IMO.

I see 3 points!

-Champs Elysées?

No need to be softer. I appreciate every comment and observation. I was shooting handheld, with a fixed focal length, fast prime lens (14MM) at a lowish ISO to maintain quality. This image to me is not really about the Arc or even about Paris. I like some of the compositional elements and how they come together. I also like that I got the shot without being run over in the middle of Paris! Merci for your your observations. Technically, you are spot on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back