Latest LR Upgrade With Profiles

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone had time to install the latest LR and check out the new "Profile", in the basic panel???? Looks a whole lot like Nik Collection.

To be honest, I don't find the profiles to be particularly useful. I first came across them when I switched to Lightroom in 2015 and wanted to figure out if there was an easy way to make my RAW files look like the SOOC JPEGs, and camera profiles were the first step in matching the processing. Every few months, one of the photography blogs runs another post about the "secret" setting in Lightroom you didn't know about, which always turns out to be camera profiles. Now they just moved it to the top and added a few more of their own color profiles and an easier way to preview them in a grid. I can see how this could be a way to speed up post processing by selecting a better starting point, but I've been pretty happy using Adobe Standard as the default and working with a flat image from the start.

Heard there was a fair amount of crashes with the new upgrade. Also presets sorting is out of order. Most review sites are recommending waiting for the patch before upgrading.

Heard there was a fair amount of crashes with the new upgrade. Also presets sorting is out of order. Most review sites are recommending waiting for the patch before upgrading.

oopsie.
guess i should have read this post earlier.

Now they just moved it to the top and added a few more of their own color profiles and an easier way to preview them in a grid. I can see how this could be a way to speed up post processing by selecting a better starting point, but I've been pretty happy using Adobe Standard as the default and working with a flat image from the start.

So there's no confusion, there are color profiles (Adobe standard, camera natural, adobe landscape, adobe vivid, etc..) and there are processing profiles.

Under the drop down menu here you can choose the color profile from the list or browse to a custom profile. The 4 square grid on the right opens the processing profiles.
123.JPG

Which gives you categories. Click on the arrow and it will give you thumbnail views of your image with the processing applied. Hover over the thumbnail and it will show the effect applied to your image in the main workspace. I found the processing profiles to be very similar to those offered in the Nik Collection. The big difference, is that if you edit an image in Nik, you have to convert your file to a TIFF, and open another window, while in this, one click applies the changes to your workspace. You can then edit, fine tune, or revert back with ease. Supposedly Adobe is working with outside commercial developers to further expand this panel.
1234.JPG

I've had no issues with LR or PS since the update. Running great. I did notice a comment in the details that they were fixing some bugs in a previous update, so the crashes may have been related to a previous update.

Here's an example of using the profiles in LR. I took this through glass but there was so much funky stuff going on, that I'd put off editing it. I could have worked with it, spent a lot of time and gotten to this point, but instead I opened profiles, and was able to quickly view the possible choices and applied the B&W with orange filter. Made a few more adjustments to suit my personal tastes, and I'm done. If I didn't like it when done, clicking the reset button would bring me back to square one. That's the strong point of this update, the ability to visually lock in on something close quickly, and the flexibility and ease of fine tuning it to your personal taste.

AnimalK01312018_332.jpg

I wish I had seen this and waited. I did the update and now LR runs slow and crashes. It's frustrating enough that I'm about to postpone all my post processing until they fix it.

I wish I had seen this and waited. I did the update and now LR runs slow and crashes. It's frustrating enough that I'm about to postpone all my post processing until they fix it.

Not saying you're not having issues, but it may be issues other than the update. I've been running the latest update since it came out with no issues, using Win10 Creator update. A little more information about your operating system, and what you're doing at the time of the slow down/crash might help. Have you contacted Adobe support?

One known issue that kills the speed of LR is the use of ANY of the adjustment brushes. The more you do the slower it gets. Heavy editing is best done in PS.

I have had a couple issues with updates resetting itself in my settings after an update. Have you tried this:
  1. Make sure you're in 64 bit mode.
  2. If you use LR mobile make sure it's not trying to sync everything, that will slow down performance.
  3. In LR go to Preferences>Performance Tab. Try unchecking "Use graphics processor". Despite the fact I supposedly having a compatible processor, LR still refuses to play nice.
  4. Moving further down increase your Camera Raw Cache size to at least 30 GB.
  5. Lastly if you're bound and determined to do extensive retouching in LR, you might try checking the "use smart previews for editing rather than the original" it won't affect the quality of the final image, but may make it difficult for you to edit properly.
  6. On the same tab, there is a button to "Optimize Catalog". Learn to do this on a regular basis as it will speed up LR.
  7. In your Catalog Settings, in catalog settings, uncheck the "automatically write changes to XMP". With this checked, every time you make an adjustment, the processor has to do double the work, but bear in mind, you lose the history of what you've done when you do this.

The site(s) I read the crashes about,did not say EVERYBODY was crashing just a fair amount of crashes had been reported. (Much higher than normal updates). So Yes, it is quite probable that you can upgrade and not have problems. Does not make those who do have problems to be at fault of something they did wrong. Not everyone's machines are using the same hardware, nor are they all configured the same way. What used to work best for one person, might be why they are crashing with this upgrade. I decided to upgrade over the weekend as I was between editing jobs and figured if I had to go back to the older version it was not a big deal, I could afford to wasted time. So far no issues.

I upgraded the afternoon that it came out. I haven't experienced any issues with it. I do like the profiles for Adobe Color, Adobe Portrait and Adobe Vivid. I have been one that has a colorchecker passport and have made custom camera profiles and they are all still there and available.

I am starting to use the Adobe Color a lot more than using the custom camera profiles.

Does not make those who do have problems to be at fault of something they did wrong. Not everyone's machines are using the same hardware, nor are they all configured the same way. What used to work best for one person, might be why they are crashing with this upgrade. I decided to upgrade over the weekend as I was between editing jobs and figured if I had to go back to the older version it was not a big deal, I could afford to wasted time. So far no issues.

Of course not, there are so many variables that come into play many of which have nothing to do with Adobe. I had a problem a couple of months ago when I finally succumbed to Windows bugging me about updating to the Creator version. What a PITA that was. Took me 4 days to finally work through all the bugs, updates, and conflicts that caused.

I am starting to use the Adobe Color a lot more than using the custom camera profiles.

I also have a lot of custom profiles, that I find I'm using less and less. The profiles and the corresponding snapshot views makes it so easy to quickly get close, then modify in the Basic Panel.

Most reactions

Back