Latest Sigma 70-200mm - Sigting through reviews - Help !

Caps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everybody,
:D

I have a D5100 and I'm in the market for a 70-200mm 2.8. All the reviews seem to say that the Tamron has great optics/pic quality but is too slow. Focus speed is important so I think the Tamron is off the table.

Question - What are your experiences with the latest Sigma that everybody is glowing about? Is it as good as some are saying or are the reviewers getting paid to say Tamron/Nikon/Canon/Sigma are great?

I've read that Sigma has a hit-or-miss lens making history but this new lens is a marked departure - in a good way. Is this true?

As far as the Nikon VRI or VRII goes - that's a pipe dream and just too expensive.

Thanks a ton guys....

Lenses
105 2.8G
50 1.8G
35 1.8G
70-300 ED VR
Tamron 17-50 2.8

I used to have a Sigma 70-200. They are really a hit and miss with quality. Some of them are built fine but some are going to break and peel from personal experience. I would suggest getting the older version of the Nikon 70-200mm VR1. Its decently priced at around 1500$ used and works perfectly

Ultimadrif...

Thanks for the quick response.

Sounds like the Sigma "issues" are true. You used the expression break and peel - what does "peel" mean?

Are there conterfiet versions of the VR's? Are there issues I should be on alerted to?

A guy is selling a VR that has just been "professionally cleaned" and is in mint condition.

I don't believe so unless you're in China. It's best to inspect the lens in person, however if you are shopping on ebay be sure that the seller is reputable of course.

I have 3 Sigma lens and there all sharp as a tack.

Listed below in my sig

Thanks guys...

I'm in the US so it sounds like the market isn't flooded with fakes yet - great news :) I've been doing a little homework on buying a used lens but I couldn't find any info. on whether or not fakes abound. Thanks !

rgregory1965 - Thanks for the real-world input. There's a lot of information online from non-users or users of much older Sigma lenses. The whole point -from what I've been reading - is that this new lens reinvents the Sigma lens line from so-so to a real contender of Nikon/Canon.

Is this true in your experience?

I have 2 sigma lenses as well.

I have the 18-200 3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM and the Nikon 18-200 VR. I actually think the sigma focuses quicker and provides a sharper image.

I am also pretty impressed with my Sigma 70-200 f2.8. It is a tad soft at both extremes but great otherwise. Build quality seems nice so far as well.

I have the older Sigma 70-200. I upgraded to the Nikon VR1. The Sigma is a great lens for the price, but the Nikon is so much better. Faster to lock focus, sharper through all f-stops, even wide open it's sharp, while the Sigma's a little soft wide open. If you're considering the OS version, then i'd also go with ultimadrift's suggestion of getting the Nikon VR1 used instead since they're closely priced. You won't be disappointed.

Maybe getting the VRI is the thing to do - I'm just very nervous buying a Craigslist item for $1500.00 give or take but that's the choice I guess.....

You guys have given me so much info....thanks

Maybe getting the VRI is the thing to do - I'm just very nervous buying a Craigslist item for $1500.00 give or take but that's the choice I guess.....

You guys have given me so much info....thanks

I bought mine (used) from adorama.com

edit: They don't seem to have any at the moment, but keh.com does (in the $1700 range) and they're pretty reliable.

I have 3 Sigma lens and there all sharp as a tack.

Listed below in my sig

So if your sigma 70-200 f/2.8 is sharp as tack, what would you call 70-200 f/2.8 VR II?

A blade made from obsidian.

As for Sigma's lenses, they do have a reputation of being a bit dodgy in the IQ dept, but I've owned all of the following:

Sigma 70mm F/2.8 Macro
Sigma 105mm F/2.8 Macro
Sigma 180mm F/2.8 Macro
Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 EX
Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 OS
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 non-Macro
Sigma 85mm F/1.4

All have been incredible lenses. The 18-50 isn't spectacular, but the 17-50 is. All of the rest are superb glass. All of the Macros easily hold up to their Nikon counterpart. The 24-70? Not so much. But, is still great.

Mark

Most reactions

Back