laughable question #2!

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi again... just wanting a bit of help with b&w conversions.... I (thanks to you guys!) use channel mixer to convert in photoshop. now i pretty much tick the monochrome box, play with the red, green, blue channels till i get the desired result... then i go to adjustment>levels and pull the 2 end sliders to meet with the histogram, leaving the middle slider alone 99% of the time.... then i go to curves and add a bit of contrast with a slight 's' shape (as recommended by talented folk on this site too!!!).... anyway, still am not rapt with my b&ws and wondering if anyone could spread some more love my way... I have just posted a couple in weddings/portraits if that helps and quite like the effect of the b&w bride but :blushing: can't exactly remember what levels i used - am thinking they were along the lines of 70 20 10 but i guess i should have written it down... I guess my aim is to produce a uniform b&w each and every time i convert??? Any help is as always appreciated enormously xxxxx
could someone please move this if it is in the wrong section - thought it could have gone in a few different spots??? xx Thanks again xx

markc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.markcarpenter.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Every print will require it's own adjustments. Going by numbers will give you a good head start, like moving the sliders to the begining/end of the ramp, but from there it's going to be up to your eye to get a set of images looking consistant. It really just comes down to practice.

fotogenik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
markc said:
Every print will require it's own adjustments. Going by numbers will give you a good head start, like moving the sliders to the begining/end of the ramp, but from there it's going to be up to your eye to get a set of images looking consistant. It really just comes down to practice.

Kinda curious about this, up until now I always used the desaturate command on photoshops image menu to do black and white, now that I have seen this other way that gives me more control I am interested in learning more about it. Anyone have any tutorials anywhere they can link me for learning this technique?

Cheers,

markc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.markcarpenter.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There have been several threads on b&w conversion. Try a search for "channel mixer".
What I was talking about applies to both b&w and color, and is for getting a full contrast range in the image using "levels".

Most reactions

New Topics