Laundromat shoot C&C welcome

mrstravis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a laundromat shoot on Sunday and wanted some feedback on a few of the photos. Be brutally honest. These were two of my favorites. The model was very easy to work with and I didn't have to give much direction at all. Disclaimer: I did not pick the models outfit.

$image-234922941.jpg

$image-3921433698.jpg

:???:

I know you didn't choose her outfit but personally I would have refused to shoot because of it particularly in the second shot it looks like she is try to wash her butt. As far as the idea of shooting at a laundry mat...??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

C&C per req:

1. Seems a little under-exposed to me.

2. Ummm... all I can think is that the model couldn't find a loo...

I think there's a lot of potential here, but I'm not sure that you realized it. First of all, clothing choices should ALWAYS be discussed and agreed on by both sides (I'm assuming this was a TF* shoot), because it's as much for you as for her. Brown shoes, green socks, yellow shirt and black hair bow????? WHAT???? I'm a GUY and even I know that just plain doesn't work.

I think you could have done a lot here with a cutesy pin-up style outfit and the laundry machines. Did you plan anything? Have a shot list? What was the vision for the day? Again, being frank, it looks like you two showed up and went, "ummm... okay, try this..." Remember, plan the shoot, shoot the plan. It doesn't hurt to amend the plan, but you have to have something to amend to start with!

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

The outfit alone is enough to send the most sophisticated Autofocus system into malfunction. She looks like a big Lollipop.

Fun idea. And you're doing ok. You most absolutely can make the location work, and even the outfit.

But you need to up your game if you really want to pull this off.
Lighting. You need lighting. And a more deliberate approach to these shots.
Better makeup, a little "styling" of the outfit, and some deliberate lighting would have helped considerably.

Also, the cart shot is kinda ruined by the background. Be aware of the background and composition at all times while shooting... you should have paused to moved her so... maybe you get the dryers behind her, or better yet ONE dryer behind and to the side of her.

I know you didn't choose her outfit but personally I would have refused to shoot because of it particularly in the second shot it looks like she is try to wash her butt. As far as the idea of shooting at a laundry mat...??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I didn't want to refuse because I wanted the practice. I chose a laundromat shoot bc it was something different for me. Originally the shoot was set for the beach but the rain killed that. However when I chose her from her model mayhem profile she was significantly smaller (unbeknownst to me) so in retrospect the laundromat was probably a better fit than the beach.

Hard to tell in the little image but #1, the face looks soft to me.

Not a real fan of either image.

Can you tell me why you aren't a fan of either image?

C&C per req:

1. Seems a little under-exposed to me.

2. Ummm... all I can think is that the model couldn't find a loo...

I think there's a lot of potential here, but I'm not sure that you realized it. First of all, clothing choices should ALWAYS be discussed and agreed on by both sides (I'm assuming this was a TF* shoot), because it's as much for you as for her. Brown shoes, green socks, yellow shirt and black hair bow????? WHAT???? I'm a GUY and even I know that just plain doesn't work.

I think you could have done a lot here with a cutesy pin-up style outfit and the laundry machines. Did you plan anything? Have a shot list? What was the vision for the day? Again, being frank, it looks like you two showed up and went, "ummm... okay, try this..." Remember, plan the shoot, shoot the plan. It doesn't hurt to amend the plan, but you have to have something to amend to start with!

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

I told her that my vision was something edgy. Not a cutesy I'm going to the laundromat type shoot. Not knowing that she would show up looking like she was auditioning to be a dancer at a strip club, even my husband had a WTF look when she changed. Pin up is something I would love to try but feel as though I need to practice a lot more and do some research on pin ups before giving it a try. I showed up to the laundromat early to plan my shots but she kinda went to doing her own thing so I let her work. I think that I have to get a better hold on my directing.

The lighting is pretty flat and there is no 'pop' to the images.
Some OCF would have helped. Strobist: Lighting 101

I also think #1 is under exposed.

Thank you for the link. I thought the lighting was fine but I post to learn so thank you for pointing that out!

Fun idea. And you're doing ok. You most absolutely can make the location work, and even the outfit.

But you need to up your game if you really want to pull this off.
Lighting. You need lighting. And a more deliberate approach to these shots.
Better makeup, a little "styling" of the outfit, and some deliberate lighting would have helped considerably.

Also, the cart shot is kinda ruined by the background. Be aware of the background and composition at all times while shooting... you should have paused to moved her so... maybe you get the dryers behind her, or better yet ONE dryer behind and to the side of her.

I have a sb700 speed light that I didn't even pull out of the bag bc I thought the lighting was fine. She came with her makeup already done but I see now that in working with another model I will need to find a MUA and hair stylist as her hair was horrible.

Is this one any better?

Attachments

• $image-457327182.jpg
    $image-457327182.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 156

I didn't want to refuse because I wanted the practice. I chose a laundromat shoot bc it was something different for me. Originally the shoot was set for the beach but the rain killed that. However when I chose her from her model mayhem profile she was significantly smaller (unbeknownst to me) so in retrospect the laundromat was probably a better fit than the beach.

I get that it is different but my point was that I personally feel you missed it. I think it could work but needs some fine tuning and perhaps as others have already suggested some lighting would improve it.

Most reactions

Back