Law and photos on internet.

Shortnsalty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If I put photos on Pintrest for example and they are not signed in any way does that give people the right to use them as they wish?

PLEASE do a search for the Millions of threads on this topic that come up constantly! (and please ignore the jailhouse lawyers and quasi-experts that have posted a million conflicting opinions... and consult an attorney if you want a CORRECT answer for your particular situation, state, county, country, etc...)

If I put photos on Pintrest for example and they are not signed in any way does that give people the right to use them as they wish?

Nope...but they will use them anyhow.

The only way NOT to have your photos used, is:

#1 Don't take any!

or

#2 Don't post them on the innernetz!!!!

Visit U.S. Copyright Office

Read the Pintrest Terms of Service (ToS) to discover what you agree to when you sign up.
Terms of Service

Based on their ToS and how they handle image metadata, I do not recommend using Pintrest to post content you don't want others to have unrestricted access to.
Image theft on the Internet is rampant.

You own the copyright to any photos you make as soon as the image files are recorded on a memory card.
They do not have to have any ownership info added to them.

But from a legal perspective, if your copyright is not registered with the US Copyright Office, your copyright has little legal traction.
Registering Your Copyrights Using the eCO System | NatureScapes.Net ? The Resource for Nature Photographers
Help! I?ve Been Infringed! | Photo Attorney
Five Things You Can Do to Protect Your Online Images | Photo Attorney
https://nppa.org/page/5617
The Fuss About Fair Use | Photo Attorney
Embedded Metadata Initiative

Last edited:
No, it does not give them the RIGHT to use them.

But it does give them the access to use them.
Obviously, and I'm pretty sure the OP could figure that out. But that wasn't the actual, simple, straightforward question.

I'm sure he can; I was actually trying to to play off your post and reinforce the point already mentioned that while posting IP on line doesn't give anyone the right to use it, by making it accessible, you really, in this day and age, should just assume that someone will take it.

Pinterest and Tumblr...two of the biggest photo-stealing, photo-appropriating, copyright-violatin' sites on the whole world wiiiiiide web!!!!

They CAN use 'em, but they MAYN'T!

Just how it is nowadays. If worried use low res. Change the file name to the 'photo title copyright date your name' That way it can be identified someplace on the web if a reverse search is done for the creator.

Change the file name to the 'photo title copyright date your name' That way it can be identified someplace on the web if a reverse search is done for the creator.
Unless who ever takes the image changes the file name before re-posting it on the Internet. Then a reverse search would not find it.

Most reactions

Back