Layla&Josh Couples Photoshoot - Day Five

BrieKayee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are my day five images. I took my two friends out on a couples shoot for an assignment for my photography course. I think the photos turned out really well, and both Layla and Josh love the photos. C&C welcome

$Edit1.jpg
2. $Edit2.jpg

3. $Edit3.jpg

4. $Edit4.jpg

In the first two images I feel that the highlights are a little over-exposed, causing you to lose detail in those hot spots. I like that you are using directional light that is creating interest and depth to the photos though.

The third image has a bit of a green tint when I look at it. If you use photoshop, you can use a curves layer adjustment mask to adjust the green, red and blue color curves separately to tweak it and get rid of that tint. With the same curves adjustment layer you can also go into the RGB curve to bring some depth and contrast to the photo by pulling the highlights up a bit and the darker tones down a bit. I like the soft light and the amount of detail you captured, I just think a little bit of processing could help bring out the good features of this shot.

In the fourth shot I feel that the lighting is very flat. This may be a personal opinion of mine, but I think that lighting that also casts shadows to create depth is always a better way to go when choosing how to cast light on your subject. Flat light gets rid of shadow, essentially erasing depth and detail, and I feel that it is rarely flattering to the people in the photograph. It's like using your pop-up flash.

This is how I would edit that third image using the technique I described:
$Edit3.jpg

Last edited:
Focus, focus, focus! IF you have an 85mm 1.8 and you are going to shoot it at f1.8 - 2, especially at short distances, then focus is absolutely critical and there is NO room for error. The first image would actually have been a cute couple shot were it not for the fact that your DoF was only a couple of inches at best and you focused on the young lady's sweater. Her face is abysmally soft. If you are going to shoot like this, then use a single focusing point, and place it over the near eye so that at least that most important element of the image is sharp.

Focus, focus, focus! IF you have an 85mm 1.8 and you are going to shoot it at f1.8 - 2, especially at short distances, then focus is absolutely critical and there is NO room for error. The first image would actually have been a cute couple shot were it not for the fact that your DoF was only a couple of inches at best and you focused on the young lady's sweater. Her face is abysmally soft. If you are going to shoot like this, then use a single focusing point, and place it over the near eye so that at least that most important element of the image is sharp.
I think her focus point was the boy's face, not the sweater. He seems to be in much crisper focus than the girl or her sweater in my opinion. But you're completely right about having to be super careful with your focus either way. I use an 85mm f/1.8 and can certainly vouch for that super shallow depth of field. Not only that, but in bright lighting you have to be really careful about shooting wide open with that particular lens, otherwise you get a pretty noticeable purple/magenta fringe. Best to shoot wide open with that lens in indirect/ soft lighting.

Look at the ribs on the neck of the young lady's sweater; they're the closest thing to in-focus and looking at the contrast, it makes sense that the camera would choose that as well.

Look at the ribs on the neck of the young lady's sweater; they're the closest thing to in-focus and looking at the contrast, it makes sense that the camera would choose that as well.
The guy just seems more in focus to me than the girl. Even his clothing. Not that it's a big deal; I'm simply giving my observation.

And looking at #1, had you taken 1 step left, you could have taken the red gate post out of the side of his head, and used it as a "framing" line inside the frame. Just a nit pik.

The first needs help with the posing... I can kind of see what you were going for, but the composition is lacking. Bring them closer or farther away from each other to create something a little more dynamic.

The second pose isn't bad. It's safe, but good. Nice attempt at using leading lines (is the fence supposed to be blue?).

idk about her expression. it looks like she may have been talking and smiling. You have to carefully plan your shots at just the right moment.

For the last one, and the first one, I think this link might help: Rebekah Hoyt Photography - Rebekah Hoyt Blog - Fotog Friday: Making Small Changes

You should make it a rule to never pose a female crotch forward, your focus needs some work, WB is really off, and composition on #3 and #4 seem strange. I see some pretty strong shadows and bright highlights, so I assume you were shooting in the middle of the day? I would try to avoid that if at all possible until you get a little more experience under your belt. If you can't avoid it get them in the shade and fill the faces with a reflector and flash.

Most reactions

Back