Learn me Speedrings

gian133

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get a softbox to use with my flash on location. I have seen mounts that have a shoe mount with a speedring. Soft boxes have a speedring on them too?

Also i have some cheap impact monolights that it would be nice to use them on too but i heard there is nothing for them.

Impact | One Monolight Kit - 100 Total Watt/Seconds | EX100A-KI

Im just clueless on how they work. Please help me out.

Gian

A speedring is the 'ring' that forms the opening in the softbox, though which the light unit sticks into the box (or at least shoots it's light though). Also, with most softboxes, the speedring is the solid part of the frame, without which, the rest of the frame would just be loose pieces. So it's a very important part of a softbox.

Since many lights are different, the speedring has to match the application. (it has to fit the light). See HERE
In the case of using a softbox with a Speedlight flash, I believe that there will need to be a bracket to attach the speedring to a light stand or something. Example HERE

Some softboxes have an umbrella type frame and attach to the studio light with a rod, just like an umbrella. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/564656-REG/Westcott_2202_Apollo_Speedlight_Set_.html
You could use this type of softbox with an umbrella adapter and a Speedlight.
No Speedring needed for this type.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back