Learning Lightoom and Photoshop

Matt Glick

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Now that im taking my photography to the next level with a FF body, I am going to need to learn LR and PS. I have zero experience with either program. I have heard that LR is easier to learn. Anyone have any recomendations on videos or tutorials that teach LR or PS? I have considered taking an in person class, but I think I should be able to learn online. Ill be running this on my Macbook Air and hoping to get an external monitor shortly for bigger viewing.
Thank you.

Already in progress:
what is the best way to learn photoshop Photography Forum

With either application open click on the HELP tab and then Photoshop Help or LR Help. Both applications have downloadable user manuals.
For Photoshop you will want to know how to use the various selection tools (and their options) and most importantly how to use Layers and layer masks.

Visit Adobe TV
And pay to join KelbyOne.com and/or Lynda.com
There are YouTube videos, but they are scattered all over the place on YouTube in a random non-sequential pattern.

Get these indispensable reference books:
Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers, 2014 Release: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC
The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers
Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)
The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop (2nd Edition)
The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers

Or find and organize a list of 8,000 scattered videos and tutorials

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Very complete information from KmH. Keep in mind that LR, and PS in particular, have a huge list of capabilities BUT you don't need most of them. Take time to learn the basics and when you do need one of the more advanced techniques, take some time to learn it. You'll eventually compile an impressive list of capabilities but there are entire areas you may never need.

Most reactions

Back