Learning Photography // Is A Different Model Needed??

Bob, you ask for advice, you've been given advice. Nothing so much wrong with the Olympus; it's better than your point and shoot - but I still suggest going for a Canon 450D/1000D or Nikon D3000.

The e-410 lacks in places. If you want to commit to the 4/3's area, go for the e-520 at least. Olympus doesn't offer IS in lenses, so the 5+ is the place to start for IS. Anyway, it's worth it.

Your prof is probably as good a source as any. S/he knows what sort of rig will permit you to fully exploit the learning experience of the course -- and perhaps photo courses you will take later on.

whereas an olympus e-420 is a 4/3 sensor
(really small)
Uh... SLR = Single Lens Reflex. The size of the sensor has nothing to do with, the e-420 is still an SLR. The viewfinder is worse than looking through a door peephole, though.

Exactly. All the sensor size difference is going to do is possible change the depth of field as the lens focal length gets wider for an equivilent field of view. The OP could bring a giant 5x7 Graflex D in the first day of class, and it will still be an SLR which will teach the same fundamentals of photography. The only exception being that they will be able to get the most amazing OOF rendition out of anyone in the class.

Just won an Olympus E-450 Factory Demo for just over $300.

****ing stoked.

Looks like its just got a couple art filters and small adjustments from the 410/420.

Regardless, with full aperture control and things of the sort It'll give me much more understanding of photographic technices and such than my nice Fujifilm point-and-shoot.

Thanks again for all your help, any tips/tricks or helpful advice on the E450 or PHOTOGRAPHY in general would be appreciated...

Thanks again :soapbox:

I don't see what the big deal about 4/3's is. I have found every lens I need. They may be 50-80 bucks more expensive for some reason, but they are out there. Unless you are a lens fanatic and need 50 of them, you will be fine with 4/3s. That being said, is there another problem with 4/3s besides the size of its sensor I am not aware of?

I don't see what the big deal about 4/3's is. I have found every lens I need. They may be 50-80 bucks more expensive for some reason, but they are out there. Unless you are a lens fanatic and need 50 of them, you will be fine with 4/3s. That being said, is there another problem with 4/3s besides the size of its sensor I am not aware of?

Because I don't need light to shoot with my camera. 6400 ISO is a perfectly acceptable option for me.

A. A big difference between a DSLR and a high-end compact camera is the ease of use. When I had my Olympus C5050z I could shoot in manual mode, change aperture, change shutter speed but it was a pain and I rarely did it. With my DSLR I turn one wheel to adjust aperture and turn another wheel to adjust shutter speed. It's thumb and forefinger. It's easy.

B. Please ignore the brand fanatics. For some their brand or their camera has to be the best. Not the best for them but the best for everyone. Decide what's important for you to narrow a search for a DSLR.

C. Every DSLR on the market is capable of producing excellent photos. The primary variable is the photographer. That said, there are differences that matter. For me, I much prefer in-camera stabilization over in-lens image stabilization. Both work but I'm cheap.

D. I live in Mexico so my sister brings me new cameras. That's called smuggling. She got a new camera for me and I asked her to take some photos to make sure at a basic level it worked. She called me and said, "This camera is fun to use. It's so much easier for me to use than my camera. I'm enjoying it so much more." That's a big factor, in my opinion. So, narrow your search and then handle and check out some of the cameras.

E. Camera clubs are a great place to get opinions and see other equipment. When I started, in 1962, I joined a club and found quite a few people who knew more than I did and were willing to help me. Of course, some were jerks, too, but you can sort them out.

Good luck and have fun.

Most reactions

Back