Learning to use off-camera flash [C&C appreciated]

LizardKing

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good night everybody!

The SB-700 softened by a white sheet up and right from the camera, reflective white board to fill the shadows on the other side and a sweet gift from the girlfriend :mrgreen:
Any comments, tips or C&C would be much appreciated.

$Studio-Portalápices-001-4.jpg

Not bad at all; a little more fill image left wouldn't have gone amiss, but it's a good start!

Thank you all! Just wanted to know if I was on the right track or there was some really bad mistake.
I like it, but one sometime can be too subjective with your own pictures. I can still probably make that wood look a little better and try a better composition, though...

Thanks again and have a nice day!

The light is nice and soft, so if you're going for that, well done.
However, it doesn't seem to light the subject evenly (top to bottom)...The bottom looks much darker. Not necessarily a bad thing, it really depends on what you want the shot to look like.

That's likely why you don't have much feedback...we don't know what you were trying to accomplish (you only told us what you did, not what you were trying to achieve)...so it's hard to really say whether you reached your goals or not.

The light is nice and soft, so if you're going for that, well done.
However, it doesn't seem to light the subject evenly (top to bottom)...The bottom looks much darker. Not necessarily a bad thing, it really depends on what you want the shot to look like.

Yes, I was going for a soft light, thanks! I wanted to do both shots: one evenly lit and another with a darker bottom. But I think I like this one better.

That's likely why you don't have much feedback...we don't know what you were trying to accomplish (you only told us what you did, not what you were trying to achieve)...so it's hard to really say whether you reached your goals or not.

You're completely right and now I've learned. :)
I basically wanted to sell you the product. I mean, as if it was an assignment from a client to photograph her work or products.

What aperture was this shot at? When it comes to product photography, its much more pleasing on the eye to have the whole object sharp. Looks like the top of the box, it's losing some sharpness due to DOF.

Other than that, I love the colors being portrayed in the shot, they mend really well.

What aperture was this shot at? When it comes to product photography, its much more pleasing on the eye to have the whole object sharp. Looks like the top of the box, it's losing some sharpness due to DOF.

Other than that, I love the colors being portrayed in the shot, they mend really well.

f/4.5 -- You're right, you can see that in the top. Next time I'll try a smaller aperture. Thanks!

I'd suggest f/8-f/11 with a shutter of 1/160th is a good starting point. Adjust flash power and see what works best :)

I'd suggest f/8-f/11 with a shutter of 1/160th is a good starting point. Adjust flash power and see what works best :)
Thanks! The only problem is that I cannot use a higher flash power than 1/8 because the SB-700 doesn't seems to be able to synch when using a higher power. I'm gonna buy a wire to connect them that way and (hopefully) solve the problem, until I decide to send it for repair. So, having that value pretty much fixed, I used the aperture to adjust the exposure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back