learning to use raw and my t1i [first dslr]

lonewolfe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so I'm just now getting used to my dslr and learning everything with raw and felt somewhat satisfied with this image i plan to go back tomorrow and re shoot though to get possibly a better look. one problem i was having is my aperture right now i just have the 18-55 kit lens but it wouldn't stop down to 3.5 for some reason i cant get it to go to 3.5 ever it stops at 4.5 but randomly will let me go lower sometimes. is there certain settings that im changing that cause this? anyway heres one of the images i took today, and yes i know its a little dark.

IMG_0344.jpg

Are you changing your zoom? The zoom you have can only have an f stop of 3.5 when you are at 35mm. Once you zoom in, you will not be able to get that low.

it wouldn't stop down to 3.5
stop down means going to smaller apertures - Stopping down - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
with a kit lens, 18-22/23mm you'll get your 3.5 anything more on focal length, it'll automatically stop down :) .
You could just take few steps back and shoot at 5.6. Give enough distance b/n you and the subject you could nicely blur out our background (as it seems that it what you want to do).
Your image is underexposed - boost the ISO, drag the shutter a bit, use flash, wider (as you already want to do) apertures.

I would've used a flash but I didn't plan on killing the picture with on camera flash[I prefer natural lighting], buying a flash for it after the holidays are over =]. and thank you for the insight on the f stops with this camera why is it that it wont go to 3.5 after you pass a certain focal length? I'll try to make it a little brighter next time i shoot, its just that with some photographs i like them a little darker I feel like it gives them a better look.

i dont have a tripod that can tilt [took this vertically] and the only one i have right now is a table top tripod im gradually investing in all the gear i need. thank you for the advice though, I am still trying to get in the habit of remembering tripods are your friends.

I am going to be picking up my T1i soon. How do you like it so far? Have you tried recording video with it yet?

I'm not big on doing video but I have seen some absolutely amazing videos in hi def with this camera online so I cant say its bad. As for the camera itself I still have a little to learn because I'm new to digital I've been using 35mm in school but we're getting into digital soon. As for the features on it, it's a fun camera to use especially as an entry level, it feels a little more advanced than that.

Unless I missed it no one has yet addressed your aperture issue.

Your 18-55 mm is a variable aperture zoom lens, f/3.5 to f/5.6.

You will only be able to use f/3.5 when zoomed to 18mm. As you zoom out towards 55 mm the maximum aperture your lens can give will get smaller(bigger numer) until f/5.6 becomes the maximum aperture at 55mm.

Zoomed to 55mm you can't open the lens any wider than f/5.6.

Of course you can use even smaller apertures (bigger numbers) down to f/22 or so.

I would've used a flash but I didn't plan on killing the picture with on camera flash[I prefer natural lighting], buying a flash for it after the holidays are over =]. and thank you for the insight on the f stops with this camera why is it that it wont go to 3.5 after you pass a certain focal length? I'll try to make it a little brighter next time i shoot, its just that with some photographs i like them a little darker I feel like it gives them a better look.

If you get creative with popsicle sticks, tape and wax paper or layers of cheesecloth, you can diffuse the on-camera flash enough to mimic a higher-end flash's ability to shoot at 1/2, 1/4, 1/32 (etc) power.

thank you everyone for your help and advise I'll be sure to keep this in mind with some new assignments i have coming up

I'll try to make it a little brighter next time i shoot, its just that with some photographs i like them a little darker I feel like it gives them a better look.

Something to keep in mind here. There's a little techniques called exposing to the right. It's hard for me to explain, but basically what it means is exposing to the point just before your highlights are clipped. Then in post (since you're shooting RAW) you bring the exposure back down to where you wanted it. Without getting into the technical details, the top 1/5 of the exposure holds the most information, whereas the bottom 1/5 holds the least. Actually, the top 1/5 holds 16 times more data than the bottom 1/5. This sounds somewhat strange, but it's because of the way a digital sensor gathers light. By doing this, you are making sure that you have the most information available to you in post. It also means looking at your histogram while you shoot.

If I confused you, I'm sorry, I'm not very good at explaining things. Check out this link for a better explanation.

Basically, if you like darker images, that's fine, but it might be better to shoot properly exposed (or even slightly overexposed) and bring the exposure down in post.

oh no believe me i fully understand what you mean im in my third year of photography in highschool now and i have a great teacher my biggest issue is trying to remember to implement these techniques and make it a habit, also in the angels hand its 'snow' obviously fake but any tips on shooting snow i know it can be hard to get the correct color for it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back