Learning weddings: How to try and learn from others

zedin

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was thinking it would be nice to know how to do more people shots and also weddings. Any suggestions or ideas of how I might go about trying to be a photographers assistant for such things? I am all about the apprenticeship type of learning so not getting paid until I was good at what they were teaching me is fine since I am there to learn.

So other then just randomly calling photographers in my area any suggestions? :mrgreen:

Calling them might be a good start.

Maybe put up a portfolio on line and send out E-mails to all the pros that you like in your area. Some won't want to train 'future competition' but other might be willing to take you on. You only need one to say yes.

Maybe find a local photo club or society and see if you can join and get leads with other members.

Also, if you can, check out the websites/work of the pros in your area. And narrow the list to down to the names whose style you admire/would like to promote eventually.

There are a bunch of big names in and around OC - theBecker.com, the Boutwells, Mike Colon (Newport Beach, CA) etc.

Get some books and try replicate the shots they have there. Find out the equipment they're using and get that.

(I mean the kind of light setup - not the camera brand)

Most pros probably aren't going to be interested in teaching the fundamentals of photography. The reason for apprenticing is mainly to learn the business side of professional photography, how to work with clients, more advanced lighting set-ups, and to possibly refine techniques, and operate equipment that an amateur photographer might not be likely to use. For the basics either teach yourself or take a class. I think any serious applicant should have a fairly complete understanding of the fundamentals (Photography 101): shutter, aperture, ISO, exposure, how meters work, be comfortable running a SLR in full manual mode, on-camera flash (once again in full manual mode), know the vocabulary, etc... A portfolio of prints is nice, and so many photographers have an online gallery that it's almost essential.

Yeah.. I need to look through books and browse other photographers sites. Its not the technical aspects that I need but more of developing an eye for portriats and wedding shots (thus my wanting to tag along and help someone). Don't just want to show up to random weddings to practice :lol: but the book idea should be good.

Most reactions

Back