Leather question

If you're going to use it why not go ahead and get it CLA'd and re-leathered by a pro. You aren't going to be able to use it and keep it in it's current shape.

I'd follow Mitca's lead and have it restored unless (as he says) it has historical value beyond just being what it is. I say this because unless you take extraordinary measures to preserve it, whatever corrosion that may be in or on it will continue to grow and that would be both counter productive and a shame.

"There should be an infinity release button immediately below the left
rangefinder window."

Yeah, that's what I figured that thing is, but it doesn't budge very much at all (wiggles a tiny bit but doesn't really go down) and the gear wheel (which I assume is the focus) is dead stuck :(

Have you tried the hair drier approach? Blow some hot air, little by little until the goop softens, maybe then you'll have a little luck with taking it down.

There are two kinds of collectors, ones that buy the rare cameras and display them for their rarity, no matter what condition they are in and the ones that buy more 'generic' collectible cameras and restore them to the best of their ability. I have both kinds of cameras.

Or there's people like me who collect cameras to use. I would probably use a camera without leather. Maybe just cover with something to improve my grip.

I would never go out of my way to get a valuable camera. If I came across a Rare Leica or something, I'd probably just flip it so someone who cares about them could have it.

My ultimate goal is to have at least one body for every lens mount, so that if I find a lens I want, I'll have a body to use it on.

The key word being 'USE'.

I'll try the hair dryer, thanks. Then lens is also very foggy. I'll need to get it cleaned. Do you recommend any particular shop for that or should a local repair shop do the job right? Maybe I'll even have them take a look at the focusing issue if the dryer doesn't work.

I'll try the hair dryer, thanks. Then lens is also very foggy. I'll need to get it cleaned. Do you recommend any particular shop for that or should a local repair shop do the job right? Maybe I'll even have them take a look at the focusing issue if the dryer doesn't work.

If you're going to send the lens to a specialized shop you might as well as send them the camera too. Yes, there are a few good specialized places to send your rare camera to be repaired. I would recommend against using a 'regular' repair shop altogether.

I was going to go in tomorrow to our local shop here in San Diego - Kurt's Camera repair. The Robot has a few aperture blades that are off the track - that should be an easy job for them and I'll see how they do.

I was going to go in tomorrow to our local shop here in San Diego - Kurt's Camera repair. The Robot has a few aperture blades that are off the track - that should be an easy job for them and I'll see how they do.

Be careful with older camera repair, Kurt's Camera Repair seems to be working on more modern stuff. The rangefinders and old cameras like the Robot are better in specialized hands. There are some well known repair places such as:

United Camera Repair
3830 14th Avenue
Rock Island, IL 61201
309-786-0950

Steve's Camera Service
4355 Sepulveda Blvd
Culver City, CA 90230
(310) 397-0072

Most reactions

New Topics

Back