Left Behind

Digital Matt

alter ego: Analog Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.mattperko.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a photo that I got very lucky with. I was out late at night, and I wanted to get a photo of this street scene. I had my old olympus P&S and a tripod, and was setting up the scene when a car started coming from behind. I moved out of the way, and after the car passed, I quickly set up the camera, focused, 10 sec self timer, and jumped in the shot just in time to catch this. I got very lucky with my placement in the scene. Let me know what you think. I hope it's not too dark.

left_behind.jpg

Too dark? Not on the iBook, may be a tad darker on a PC/CRT.

Great capture, pretty good positioning for a mad dash & hold still while the shutter stays open forever shot.

I like it! :D

I remember when you first posted this picture. It amazed me back then and it still does. This shot is one of my favorites from your collection. I think the lighting is perfect but I'm also on a Mac so it might be darker on a PC.

I like the composition of the curved street and how it goes from lights on the right side and then to black where you are. It makes for a nice contrast.

I'm also stunned and shocked at the process for this shot. I wish all my hurried shots were as good as this one.

Thanks guys. I didn't think I had posted this already. Sorry about that. Oh well, it's up here now :p I need to a friend to come along with me on night shoots to model, so I don't have to run in front and hope for the best. Actually, if it hadn't been for that automatic point and shoot, I probably wouldn't have gotten this shot.

Technically you didn't post it for critique or in the gallery section. I remember you posting it in the Q&A section as an example to someone's question or something like that. I guess that makes it legal. :wink:

I've also actually wanted to bring someone along to get people into my shots but people usually aren't patient enough. Well, unless I pay them. Trees and animals don't complain about hurrying up and taking the shot. :lol:

I really love this shot. Only minor thing is that I wish it had a *bit* more definition to the silouette area.

Couple of other points... I like the color, there's just enough to make it color without making it distractingly so. I wonder what a b&w version would look like though.

This just has great mood to it. A very 'film noir' kind of feel.

Very well done - good thinking and planning. :thumbsup:

I like this shot in color - the red taillights disappearing are way cool. If it were B&W I'm not sure it would have as much *punch* as this version.

My only nitpick - and maybe you did this deliberately - but I don't like the way you're holding your arms. If they were hanging a bit more naturally I'd like it better. But again - that's a nitpick. It's still a kickin' shot. :D

Thanks for clearing that up Harrper. I couldn't remember posting this at all :p

John, I agree with Terri about the color I think. The tail lights would look really flat in B&W I think. As far as the pose, I wanted to look "stunned", as though I knew the person driving away in the car, and had just had an argument or something. It was a snap decision. Plus, I didn't want to just stand there with my arms at my sides. I was afraid I would look like a big lump in the photo being so dark. :p

Thanks again everyone :)

That's an excellent shot. Has a bit of a creepy feel to it. Definitely not too dark though. Contrast and lighting is perfect.

I like the shot. It flies just the way it is, but I noticed that you had given it the title "Left Behind".

I wonder if the photo would be more descriptive of that title if fill flash had been used at 1/4 - 1/8 power and the posture of the person would have been implying that he was trying to get the departing car's attention.

The fill flash shot is just an after-thought and by no means could replace the original. After all, why mess with perfection, huh? Your photo sparks this viewer's imagination. It creates several questions and implies no obvious answers and that's good.

Great Photo.

Rebel

Most reactions

Back