Left hand shooting.

jeroen

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
photoblog.jeroencoert.nl
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A friend of mine had an accident and has lost all the function of his right arm. This means he cannot use a DSLR in the proper way. I am trying to find a solution so he can use his Canon DSLR using only his left hand. I'm trying to find a simple and elegant solution without the use of a lot of duct tape :)

What I came up with untill now:

- Get him a battery grip and turn the camera upside down.
This means everything is upside down and he can't see or reach the top of the camera. It also makes the camera very heavy. He cannot hold the camera with 2 hands.

- I have a Hasselblad pistol grip laying around that he can have. Maybe get a remote for a Canon DSLR and tweek the grip a bit.
This seems the best idea so far.

If anyone has a good idea, I am open to any sugestion. :thumbup:

I like the second option. He's not going to be able to change settings on the fly either and that's what you'll next need to figure out.
How about a video harness/setup thing. So technical, I know. Sorry! If the camera were mounted so it is sitting supported on his chest he wouldn't be HOLDING the camera at all and that would free up his working hand to be able to come over top and reach the shutter and settings easier.

Yeah, I was gonna say tripod and a remote.

I often wondered why they don't produce any type of camera for that matter, for lefties.

This happened to me last year. Couldn't lift my right arm for 2 weeks while in Ecuador. I awkwardly held the camera upright with my left hand and took the shot. I did lose sharpness due to camera shake while I pressed the trigger. If I didn't have to press the trigger my shots would have been better. Camera remote would have helped a lot. If he can move his right hand, then use a camera remote. If he can't use a tripod then hold the camera with the left hand, as comfortable and stable as possible, while remote trigger with the right hand.

Most reactions

Back