Left or right eye?

During advanced weapons training in the Navy, those that had no idea what their dominant eye were told to pick a spot about 20-30 down range. After fixating on a spot they were instructed touch their index fingers and their thumbs with their palms facing the spot. The point was to make a diamond shape which they could use as a viewing pane. After doing this the following objective was to position the "diamond" so that you could see the spot through the diamond with both eyes. Once to could see it with both eyes you would close one eye at a time.

You will notice that you'll only be able to see the spot with one eye. That will be your dominant eye.

So cool! Just tried it and yup, my right eye is dominant. Guess I had that figured already from 20+ years of shooting with my right eye, eh? But I'm still oddly excited about how that test works. :geek: (Yes, I really am a geek.)

I use my right eye.

I've used my left on occasion, but it's uncomfortable...

Whichever eye the toddler hasn't poked today.

All joking (sort of...) aside, I'm right eye dominant. Like Mathom33, I learned in firearms class for my Criminal Justice-Law Enforcement degree, but kinda always knew I was right eye dominant.

Right-handed; left-eye dominant.

It probably has something to do with how one side of the brain typically controls the opposite side of your body.

Right eye for cameras and firearms. Right-handed. Both-brained.

Right-handed, right-eye dominant.

During advanced weapons training in the Navy, those that had no idea what their dominant eye were told to pick a spot about 20-30 down range. After fixating on a spot they were instructed touch their index fingers and their thumbs with their palms facing the spot. The point was to make a diamond shape which they could use as a viewing pane. After doing this the following objective was to position the "diamond" so that you could see the spot through the diamond with both eyes. Once to could see it with both eyes you would close one eye at a time.

You will notice that you'll only be able to see the spot with one eye. That will be your dominant eye.

Another method is to hold your hands out at arm's length with your fingers forming a small circle. Look at something through the circle. Keep looking at the same spot and move your hands toward your face while still looking through the small circle at the subject. Your hands will go straight toward the dominant eye.

Most reactions

Back