Legal use of photographs

jbcal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm building a web site and am in need of some photos for the main page, etc. With the exception of taking my own photos and using them, what is the best way and least expensive way to use photographs that others have taken? Is this the "creative commons" or "royalty free" type of stuff or should I be looking for another term to search for?

Any thoughts, ideas, input is greatly appreciated.

Try looking into Stock Photgraphy.
Many sites you can get low res images suitible for a bebsite for a very low cost.

Asking law advice on an international forum is a near guarantee that you will get either incomplete or wrong advice. Laws change from county to county in the USA, much less from country to country, and this is an international forum... that said:

My question is what kind of a website is it? If it is a site promoting yourself, I would say use all your own pics, with the exceptions being that if you are using shots from someone else, that they have to be clearly and easily identified as such and giving credit to the photographer that took the shot originally and that you have their permission to use them in the first place.

If this is a site promoting other works, the only real way that I know of to be 100% safe is to have a printed document signed by the owner giving you permission to use his shots on your site.

Stock pictures aside, if it is not yours and you are not clearly stating so, and using it without permission, it is pretty much theft.

Now, different places have different laws. When in doubt, consult a LOCAL lawyer to verify things for you. It is cheaper to pay your own lawyer, than pay someone else's lawsuit against you for copyright infringement and theft. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back